English 2001: Introduction to Literature I Fiction

active 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
Jill Belli
English
2001

Together, we will learn the elements of fiction and practice close reading through various short stories and two post-apocalyptic novels that explore notions of identity, storytelling, and imagining other possibilities/worlds. In particular, we will consider how the texts’ settings constrain their narrators, and how these narrators make sense—through language—of their lives when they don’t always have control over what happens to them. We will pay close attention to how these narrators constantly revisit, revise, and re-imagine their stories, blurring the lines between fiction and fact, and re-shaping the plots, themselves, and their worlds in the process.

“Analysis and critical understanding of selected fiction. Exams and essays based on readings.”

*Avatar Image Credit: “Possibilities.” Wade Morgan.

class notes 9/19/17

Class notes 9/19/17   Christopher Hamilton   Continuing The yellow wallpaper. Group […] See Moreclass notes 9/19/17

No is not enough

I first came across Naomi Klein after the the inauguration of President Donald J.Trump, which […] See MoreNo is not enough

Class Discussion #2: Favorite Excerpts from Student Blog Posts on “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

Just like we did for "The Yellow Wallpaper" posts, I would like everyone to read through all […] See MoreClass Discussion #2: Favorite Excerpts from Student Blog Posts on “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

This is a really fantastic post, and I've chosen it as a "featured post" for the week for its […] See More

Thanks Kina for posting these notes! Remember that you should try to capture the discussion of the […] See More

"When reading this novel I was hoping for a beautiful story of happiness but it slapped me in the […] See More

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.