ENG114-D200, CreativeWritingFA2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Prompt #1 "Don't go back to sleep"

Keeozel Saul
    Participant

Keeozel Saul
    English 1121-D502 Creative Writing
    Professor Sears
    September 17th, 2019

It was a moist day in Yabucoa, Puerto Rico. The sun was beginning to transition and the work day was over. For three weeks eight of my 24 hours was spent scraping, cementing, sealing, sanitizing and, rebuilding roofs. At the end of those eight hours for almost five days a week, I’d sit on the roof and reflect on my day. In these few moments I’d try my best to actively listen to everything around me, whether it was distanced yells from the volleyball team practicing next door or the different conversations happening as the other volunteers stood on line waiting for the showers to open up. I found it extremely important for me to be present and mindful in these times so that I could be self-aware. Self-aware of how living in another country made me feel or affected my body, whether that was emotionally, physically, spiritually or, mentally.
    As you probably can imagine everyday looked different. If there was ever a day where I wasn’t as hydrated as I should be or maybe I had breakfast, the work day went by really slow. I didn’t have time to meditate in the morning and therefore, my tolerance would be lower than usual and, my thought process would be delayed. The afternoons following these mornings made me feel very irritable. I would casually drift away during conversations, didn’t make time to journal or, I’d just be upset. I didn’t feel like a self-aware individual on these days.
    Doing the exercise, we did in class reminded me of how easy it would be for me to reinvent myself and regain my focus. Being mindful and fully aware at all times is very efficient for my health and well-being.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.