ENG1121 WritingContexts, FA2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Discourse Community Draft

Jose A.
    Participant

The discourse community that I am a part of is my karate class. This karate class is near my house. I had an interest in karate since I was young and that is why I chose this discourse community. We learn and practice karate moves every class. The purpose of each class is to learn discipline, respect, and self-defense.

The karate classes are held 6 days a week. There are classes for each karate belt. For example, a student in a Green Belt rank would attend classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at around 6:00PM. Right now, I am in a Black Belt rank and attending classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at around 8:00PM, and Saturdays at around 4:00PM.

There are 13 belt ranks ranging from White Belt and Black Belt. Each belt rank has its own teachings. In White Belt rank, students learn the basic karate moves. There are three exams each year. Students can enter if they are prepared enough by practicing their moves very well. These exams determine if each student can advance to the next belt rank. After White Belt rank is the Yellow Belt Rank.

I believe the genre of these karate classes are discipline and respect. We learn how to practice very well by listening to the teachings and knowing how to apply those teachings to our moves.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.