ENG1121-D454: ENGLISH COMP II, SP2024

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.

• Session 2 DIscussion Board: On Not Belonging to a Discourse Community

Sajin
    Participant

I once observed my brother and his friends doing a coding project where I, as a non-programmer, felt like an outsider. The project was filled with technical abbreviations and they were having discussions about complex algorithms.

Despite my genuine interest in learning the lack of programming knowledge created a barrier. They furthermore unintentionally emphasized my non-belonging by engaging in conversations that assumed a certain level of technical expertise. while they were enthusiastic about coding challenges and debugging, my questions often went unanswered or were met with responses that presumed a foundational understating I lacked.

Ayman
    Participant

I’m not really into watching sports, it seems kind of boring to me.

I’d much rather be out there playing. Whether it’s shooting hoops or kicking a soccer ball around, I find it way more fun to be part of the action than just watching from behind the TV. Being in the game is where I get my excitement, rather than sitting and watching it unfold. And I have many friends get together to watch a game, I’d stay and watch it but I know I would want to just get up and go do something else. This is a discourse community that I’m not part off.

CharlieU
    Participant

Growing up Ive always been into soccer. It always a passion and something i enjoyed playing a watching. Ive surrounded myself with people in the same discourse community,so i got comfortable interacting with them. When im in a social event and am required to interact with them, i feel uncomfortable due to the fact that i dont know anything besides soccer. I know i dont belong in a discourse community when i cant get a conversation going.

ROBERT.TEXIDOR
    Participant

I belong to the discourse community of music enthusiasts. This is a broad community of people from different backgrounds who all enjoy listening to music. Being a part of a vibrant and diverse discourse community of music enthusiasts is an earnest experience. In this community, there are many sub-groups who each enjoy varying genres but we are all joined in the belief that music is a gift that is universal and should be enjoyed by everybody, our discussions are filled with emotion, a range of viewpoints, and opinions, and the joy of developing a shared love for the music.

Even though I’ve found my community in music lovers there was a time before them when I didn’t belong to a discourse community. I tried joining a community of people who enjoyed anime. Even though to this day I still do watch anime I don’t think I’ll ever have the conviction to love it as much as they do. When I expressed that I thought that they were too enthusiastic about their love for anime they dismissed me and said “I just wasn’t getting it.”

sandra
    Participant

A discourse community i don’t feel a part of is the childhood friends community. I often feel disconnected or left out of friend groups, which for me are people i just met, and for them they’ve known each other for years. These friends groups often form as they are growing up, whether it was middle or high school even elementary school. As a child throughout elementary and middle school i moved around a lot. I never stayed in one place long enough to make long lasting friendships or even “childhood” friends, so even when talking about childhood experiences i feel misplaced because i do not identify with what is often said about their experiences or about their friendships.

Often times i tried my best to fit in or to try to understand why all of their experiences were the same. Being that they’ve all sat at the same lunch table since the sixth grade all through the 8th grade, or that their parents know each other and they constantly go out and spend time together after school. I felt always felt lonely when i would see their pictures or they would tell me their stories and laugh about the fun they had. I was also asked to hang out but my answer was always no, i didn’t know them well enough and my parents didn’t know them well enough to let me hang out, when in reality all i wanted to be part of those past funny stories they would go around telling pieces of.

sandra
    Participant

A discourse community i don’t feel a part of is the childhood friends community. I often feel disconnected or left out of friend groups, which for me are people i just met, and for them they’ve known each other for years. These friends groups often form as they are growing up, whether it was middle or high school even elementary school. As a child throughout elementary and middle school i moved around a lot. I never stayed in one place long enough to make long lasting friendships or even “childhood” friends, so even when talking about childhood experiences i feel misplaced because i do not identify with what is often said about their experiences or about their friendships.

Often times i tried my best to fit in or to try to understand why all of their experiences were the same. Being that they’ve all sat at the same lunch table since the sixth grade all through the 8th grade, or that their parents know each other and they constantly go out and spend time together after school. I felt always felt lonely when i would see their pictures or they would tell me their stories and laugh about the fun they had. I was also asked to hang out but my answer was always no, i didn’t know them well enough and my parents didn’t know them well enough to let me hang out, when in reality all i wanted to be part of those past funny stories they would all go around taking turns to tell pieces of.

Jennifer Sears
    Participant

Here are my comments on the first page of responses to the discussion board. There is a glitch preventing me from seeing the second page. I’ll comment on those when I can!

Here is the post:

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/searseng1121-d454/2024/02/07/eng-1121-discussion-board-notes/

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘’ is closed to new replies.