ENG1101-D401 English Comp, FA2023

Salma Beshir             

Standard Written English: Benito Antonio Martienz Ocasio also known as Bad Bunny, is a Puerto Rican singer and songwriter. Who is also an influential figure in the Latin American community and around the world. Bad Bunny uses his public figure to raise awareness about issues in the world, by using his songs as a way to spread the message. In 2018 he used his voice to express “a woman’s bruised mouth”. By using his music and fame, he is able to bring attention to the subject he is singing about. 

Personal Response :While reading the article about Bad Bunny, the paragraph about his song that channels a woman’s voice made me appreciate his music because it’s not just music that he makes. Bad Bunny uses his lyrics and voice as a way to bring awareness to issues in the word, Latin America and his homeland Puerto Rico. Even though I don’t understand Spanish, I still enjoy listening to Bad Bunny’s music, and after knowing that Bad Bunny uses his fame as a way to raise awareness it makes me enjoy his music more, as well as wanting to look up the translation for songs that I listen to. 

New Audience or Genre: Top Latin singer Bad Bunny has spoken up about gender, Puerto Rico, and dressing as drag to discuss gender. Using his platform Bad Bunny not only creates music, but creates awareness to issues in society. Bad Bunny expresses the care he has by dressing as a woman in his song “Yo Perrero Sola” to speak about gender. Bad Bunny also pays tribute to a transgender woman who was murdered in Puerto Rico. With Martienz speaking up, listers are aware of the transphobic violence happening in their communities.