ENG 1121 Spring 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• DISCUSSION for My Two Lives

L Wu
    Participant

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS for My Two Lives

A. Write a brief SUMMARY for My Two Lives. Your SUMM should be about 4-5 sentences, that’s all!
    B. THEN, Choose ONE question from below and write a full paragraph answer. You answer should be at least 10 sentences.

1. Lahiri writes, “ I felt intense pressure to be two things, loyal to the old world and fluent in the new, approved of on either side of the hyphen.” Explain what this quote means. You should also explain how Lahiri uses the word “hyphen” to describe her own Indian-American identity. Then, do you think Americans who have ancestral heritage from another country should have to choose between two cultures?

2. Some Americans believe that immigrants refuse to adapt and assimilate to American culture. Use Lahiri’s essay to discuss whether this belief is true or false. You can also draw on your and/or your parents’ experience, the experience of someone you know, ideas from some of our readings.

3. What does Lahiri mean when she writes “a bicultural upbringing is a rich but imperfect thing”? What are the riches? What are the imperfections of a bicultural upbringing? What are the difficulties that immigrants and their children face in assimilation?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by L Wu.

L Wu
    Participant

My answer is…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.