ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• May 7 "The Story of an Hour" read and discuss

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Discussion of Class Readings Theme: Men and Women

1) A very short story called “The Story of an Hour”: http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/webtexts/hour/

The story is told in real time, which means it takes an hour, hence its title. It also has irony at the end and foreshadowing at the beginning: “[…]Mrs. Mallard was afflicted with a heart trouble.”

a) Notice that the wife’s first name is not said right away. Why do you think that is?
    b) How old would you say this married couple is? Do they have children?
    c) Were you disturbed by her reaction to the news of the husband’s death?
    d) When she speaks of being “free,” what does freedom mean? Do you want to get married one day? Do you feel you will lose your freedom when you get married?

If marriage is being criticized, why do people still get married and why do gay and lesbian couples want to get married? Is marriage for emotional security or financial security?

e) When Mrs. Mallard dies, why does she die? What do the other characters think is the reason for her death? (We know the real reason, but they do not.)

f) Do you think the narrator, who shows the woman’s thoughts, is criticizing men?

But notice: she says, “There would be no powerful will bending hers in that blind persistence with which men and women believe they have a right to impose a private will upon a fellow-creature.” Perhaps she is being fair to or critical of both men and women.

Please have this ready—answer the questions on Discussion—for Thursday May 9.

Mariadelmar Marin
    Participant

A)During that time, females were expected to live under the control of their husbands, they were seen as property.  While married to Bently, she begins to lose her identity.

B)This married couple is probably not too young but not too old. To me, they are around their late 50s.  They probably don’t have children, none were mentioned in the story. During that century, most marriages were for monetary/financial security.

C)Sadly yes, being treated as property for so many years, she feels joy by finding her freedom, which she never had while married, and starts to see the opportunities in the future.

D)When she speaks about being free, she refers to her freedom as a human being. Women were nothing without their husbands, after Bently’s supposed death, she starts to feel the freedom of not being her husband’s prisoner anymore. I’m married, but I don’t feel I have lost my freedom. My life did change after marriage but not my freedom. I mean today’s time has changed as well.

I believe people would get married for monetary comfort, social status, and acceptance more than possible love.  More like financial security.  I believe Gays and Lesbians want to get married because they want to have the freedom to experience the same rights and responsibilities under civil marriage law same as a straight marriage.

E)Mrs. Mallard dies of a heart attack after the shocking sad realization that her husband is alive after walking through the door.  The family thinks she died of a heart problem since she had heart trouble, as the story started.

F)I think the narrator is doing a feminist criticism.

Osman
    Participant

a) Delay in naming Mrs. Mallard: The story withholds her first name initially to highlight how her identity is overshadowed by her marital status, a reflection of societal norms at the time.

b) Couple’s age and children: The story doesn’t specify their ages or mention children, focusing instead on the dynamics between the couple.

c) Reaction to husband’s death: Mrs. Mallard’s complex reaction, shifting quickly from grief to a sense of freedom, underscores her feelings about the constraints of marriage.

d) Freedom and views on marriage: For Mrs. Mallard, freedom means escape from the dominance of her husband. This raises questions about marriage as a blend of personal and societal expectations, suggesting it can offer partnership and growth, depending on one’s perspective.

e) Reason for Mrs. Mallard’s death: Officially, she dies of joy, but the story hints she dies from the shock of losing her newfound freedom when her husband appears alive.

f) Narrator’s critique of gender roles: The story critiques the power dynamics in marriages, suggesting that both men and women can be guilty of imposing their will on their partners, thus calling for a more balanced approach in relationships.

The narrative invites readers to think about personal freedom and power balance within their relationships, echoing early feminist ideas.

Juan B
    Participant

A) Due to societal norms, it might be because of her lack of identity at the time due to being married
    B) I believe the couple aren’t old or young, so around their 40-50s. I do not believe they have children
    C) I was, since it was weird seeing the transition in her feelings of being trapped to obtaining freedom since most people will be forever distraught about the death of their husband, not looking at the freedom of the situation
    D)For Ms.Mallard, the idea of being free means being free from the shackles of the marriage with her husband. I do want to get married one day, but I do not think I will lose my freedom.
    E)I believe she passes away out of joy, possibly from the shocking realization that her husband is gone, meaning the gates to freedom are open. The family thinks she died from a heart attack due to past heart problems
    F) I believe the narrator’s criticism is mainly based on old feminist ideals

braulio
    Participant

<li dir=”ltr” style=”list-style-type: upper-alpha; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre;” aria-level=”1″>
      <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>She was married and women were expected to live under their husbands and were seen as property. While married, she begins to lose her identity due to these societal norms. </span></p>

<li dir=”ltr” style=”list-style-type: upper-alpha; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre;” aria-level=”1″>
      <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”> I think the couple is about 40-50 years old. I don’t think they have children</span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”> Not really, since she went from feelings of being trapped to obtaining freedom</span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>For Ms.Mallard, the idea of being free means being free from marriage. I do want to get married one day, but I don’t think I will lose my freedom.</span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>she passes away out of joy,  from the realization that her husband is gone, and the gates to freedom are open to her. The family thinks she died from a heart attack. </span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;” role=”presentation”><span style=”font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>I believe the narrator’s criticism is mainly based on old feminist ideals</span></p>

Caitlyn Murphy
    Participant

A) Perhaps due to societal expectations, her lack of individuality at the time may have stemmed from her marital status.

B) I estimate the couple to be in their midlife, around their 40s or 50s, and it seems unlikely that they have children.

C) I was struck by the unusual shift in her emotions, from feeling trapped to embracing freedom. Typically, most people would remain in perpetual grief following the death of their spouse, rather than focusing on newfound liberation.

D) For Mrs. Mallard, freedom signifies liberation from the constraints of marriage. While I aspire to marry someday, I don’t anticipate losing my autonomy.

E) It seems Mrs. Mallard may have passed away from sheer elation, perhaps upon realizing her newfound freedom after her husband’s demise. Her family attributes her death to a heart attack, citing her history of heart issues.

F) I perceive the narrator’s critique as primarily rooted in traditional feminist ideologies.

tanya
    Participant

a) The wife’s name is not revealed right away to keep her identity ambiguous at the beginning.
    b) The age of the couple isn’t mentioned, but they could be middle-aged or older. It’s unclear if they have children
    c) Mrs. Mallard’s reaction to her husband’s death might surprise some, but others may understand her desire for freedom.
    d) Mrs. Mallard sees freedom as escaping the constraints of marriage. Marriage can mean different things for different people, ranging from companionship to security
    e) Mrs. Mallard dies from what others think is joy, but it’s likely the shock of losing her newfound freedom.
    f) The narrator doesn’t necessarily criticize men but highlights the constraints of marriage for both genders.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by tanya.

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

a) I think this is because her marital status completely overshadows her identity as an individual.
    b) It seems that the couple is young, maybe 20-30 years old, and have no kids.
    c) I was certainly shocked, you’d think she would be sad her husband is dead but instead she is relishing the freedom she dreamed of that she never had because of her husband.
    d) Mrs. Mallard’s idea of freedom is ridding of the shackles marriage has put her in and gaining control of her own life once again.
    e) Other characters think that she died of a “Heart Disease— of Joy that kills”. They think that she died from happiness that her husband was alive but we know that she died from the shock of her freedom being ripped away from her the moment she had it in her hands.
    f) The narrator’s views are mainly based on old feminist ideals., it seems to be critisizing women.

Yaritza Torres
    Participant

A) The wife’s first name is not said right away because married women were viewed as their husbands’ property in that era of society. Their marital status overshadowed their identity.

B) The married couple appears to be in their 30s or 40s, and I believe they don’t have any children.

C) I was not disturbed by her reaction to the news of her husband’s death because she may have felt stuck in her marriage, but after she learned that her husband was dead, she felt free. She was now aware of her future possibilities. It does make me sad for her, but it also makes me happy.

D) When she speaks of being free, she speaks of her autonomy. She feels as though she may now live her life as she pleases, free from her husband’s control. I am uncertain about my desire to be married. I do and I don’t on different days. I don’t feel like I will lose my freedom if I ever get married because I can leave whenever I choose.

I think the reason why people still desire marriage is that a lot of them fear loneliness and dying alone. A sense of meaning in life is something that some people also want. In my opinion, gay and lesbian couples marry to experience equality with straight couples and to find true love. Emotional security is undoubtedly the goal of marriage. A spouse who loves, respects, and cares for me is more desirable to me than someone who is wealthy but treats me poorly.

E) When Mrs. Mallard learns with sadness that her husband is still alive, her newly found freedom is ripped from her, and she passes away. Her family believes she died of a heart attack because she had heart problems.

F) I think the narrator is only emphasizing the drawbacks of marriage for women, not criticizing men.

Sofia Quinde
    Participant

A) Women back in that time were referred to by their surname because their marital status was far more important than their identity.

B) The couple must be young because they have no children (the short story did not mention if the couple had children). I estimate they are in their 20s-30s.

C) Personally, I was not disturbed by her reaction to the news of her husband’s death because everyone has their own unique way of coping with something traumatic.

D) When she says that she is “free” she is talking about her entire being. She must have felt trapped in the marriage she was in and now is experiencing the taste of freedom she never thought she craved. The word freedom means to me, is to love yourself. Marriage is not the first thing on my mind, it’s nice and all but I do not desire it. If I ever do get married I do not feel like I’m losing my freedom because I’d like to believe I chose the right partner. It depends on who you marry, a healthy marriage should not feel like a prison sentence.

Marriage is criticized because, in the end, it’s about not wanting to be alone. Humans naturally crave interaction. It’s just a human need and want. Gay and Lesbian couples want to get married because they are human, naturally, they also crave interaction. Marriage is for emotional security, undoubtedly. But sometimes a person wants to get married for financial security, I see nothing wrong with it, everyone has their reasons and goals.

E) Ms. Mallard dies with the realization that her husband is alive. In the first sentence of the short story, the text tells us that Ms. Mallard has heart issues. Her family believes she died of a heart attack because of her heart problems.

F) The narrator does not criticize men in the text. I feel like the text was made for women because it enraptures the internal struggle of a woman caught between social norms and her desires.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by Sofia Quinde.

Kyyoung98
    Participant

a) During this time, women were expected to live under the control of their husbands, often seen as property. While married to Bently, she begins to lose herself and identity.

b) I estimate the couple to be around their 40s and 50s, and seems that they do not have children.

c) I was shocked, you’d think she would be sad when Bently died but instead she is happy with the freedom she dreamed of that she never got to experiences because of her deceased husband.

d) For her, freedom signifies liberation from the conformity of marriage. While I dream to marry one day, I don’t anticipate to lose myself in the marriage.

e) Mrs. Mallard dies from what people think is joy, but its likely the shock of losing her newfound liberty.

f) I think the narrator is only emphasizing the disadvantages of marriage for women, not criticizing men.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.