ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• March 7 looking at words answer here, please

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Recently, we briefly discussed peer pressure and that the phrase itself has a negative connotation.

Many words have both a connotation and a denotation.

The denotation is the dictionary definition. Think of D for dictionary, and D for denotation.

The connotation is what we bring to the usage of a word as a society. When someone says “a nurse,” do you immediately think of a woman?  Thus, “nurse” connotes a woman to many people.

Many words can have a negative connotation or a positive one. Some words and phrases sound better, and more positive than others.

For example, saying “former president” is more polite than “ex-president.”  They mean the same, but the latter is more polite.

What about everyday words that are innocent but could be offensive to some?

Think of “old” and “fat.”

Many “old” things grow in value, but do we call them old or something less negative?

Think of valuable wine, collectible baseball cards and comic books, cars, and jewelry.

What words do we use to indicate their value?

A) What words are more polite for them? List as many as you can. Some may find even your replacement terms offensive. If you are an advertiser trying to sell things to such people, what words can you use for your target consumers?

__________________________________________________________________________B) Think of some words and phrases that have two ways of being expressed, one that is harsh, and the other that is mild. Please list as many as you can.

C) What about current phrases used in the news regularly?

What do these mean and is the meaning negative or positive?:

woke
    politically correct

cancel culture

foodie

influencer

pro-life

pro-choice

conservative

liberal

progressivetrans

goat or GOAT

romcom (a type of movie)

D) Some words or phrases have changed their meaning or lost favor over time.

1. What did these terms use to mean?

gay

Indian

Miss

colored

What do they mean now?

2.  What newer words have replaced them?____________________________________________________________

E) Do you think these next words are offensive and if so, please explain why?

gyp

stewardess

waiter

actress

retarded

What more contemporary words or phrases for these words are preferable?
    <p style=”text-align: center;”> about personal pronouns</p>
    Just a couple of years ago English teachers would try hard to have students be careful about using “they” or “their” to refer to individuals because those words grammatically mean plural. Thus, to say someone left their books in the room sounded lazy and the old-style way of giving priority to the male when in doubt (he, him, his) was sometimes replaced by the awkward his or her.

F) How do you feel about your own pronouns now that colleges and workplaces will ask what you want to be called? Most men prefer “he” and most women prefer “she,” but maybe you prefer “they.”

G)  What is your preference and why do you feel that way?

H) Can you think of actual words—not brand names, not slang—that are commonly used nowadays that may not have existed when you were young children? Maybe these are things you can purchase at Best Buy.

Probably most of them come from the areas of science and technology. How many can you list?

I) Can you think of current words and phrases that you use with your peers that you wouldn’t expect your parents and teachers to use?

Please list some.

Whenever you write, always choose your words carefully and with consideration for who your reader is.

Juan B
    Participant

A)aged, senior, grown up. chunky, heavier. If I were an advertiser, I would use words that are widely considered as inoffensive, such as grown up or chunky.
    B) Unattractive, poor, unfortunate, uneducated, odd, illiterate
    C)woke: being “enlightened” about specific information. Negative for many
    politically correct: being correct about a particular political belief. Negative for many
    cancel culture: being an outcast for having a differing perspective. Negative for many
    Foodie: someone who enjoys eating and trying new types of foods. It can be seen as negative or positive, but I see this in a positive meaning.
    Influencer: someone with a platform who also has the opportunity to spread certain information as they please. positive
    Pro-life: anti-abortion. Negative for many
    Pro-choice: supporting the choice of wanting abortion or not. Positive in my opinion
    Conservative: advocates for traditional values; I think it is a positive belief
    Liberal: someone who advocates for progressive social policies. Positive in my opinion
    Progressive: advocate for equality, and the advancement of civil rights. Positive in my opinion
    Trans: individuals whose gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. Positive
    goat or GOAT: greatest of all time. positive
    rom-com (a type of movie): literature known as romantic comedy. positive
    D)Gay: the original definition is the meaning of being happy. Then it was changed to be a negative term something to make fun of other people’s sexuality. People use it in positive and negative ways now.
    Indian: Back then it was a term used for native Americans, but now it is used for people who originate in India.
    Miss: is used to address an unmarried woman. From what I know it is still used in the same way
    Colored: a person of color who is not white. It somewhat has the same meaning now.
    E)I don’t find any of the terms offensive other than the word retarded I feel it is a derogatory term for many people who feel uncomfortable being called that term.
    F)I feel that they are the same and I don’t mind when they are asked.
    G)I prefer the pronouns he/him since I see myself as a man and was born as one.
    H)Smartphone, tablet, virtual reality, drones.
    I)Wack, bruh, nah, yuh, valid, yessir.

Kyyoung98
    Participant

A) disabilities, short stature, intellectual disabilities, visual impairment, substance use disorder, differing abilities.

B) Mild: Misspoke/Harsh: Liar, Mild: Passionate/Harsh: Crazy, Mild: Direct/Harsh: Rude, Mild: Mature/ Harsh: Old, Mild: Frugal/Harsh: Cheap

C) Woke- being aware of social and political injustices. This can be view as positive, indicating activism and awareness.

Politically Correct- intended to avoid offending members of a specific group in society. This term is based more on perspective where the ones who view it positive promote inclusivity and the ones who view it negative consider it an impediment to free speech.

Cancel Culture- the practice of withdrawing support for public figures and companies. This term can be viewed as positive seeing it as holds an individual accountable.

Foodie- a person who has a particular interest in food. This term can be viewed as positive suggesting someone who enjoys and appreciate food.

Influencer- refers to an individual who have a large and engaged following on social media. This term can be viewed as positive, highlighting a person’s ability to shape trends.

Pro-Life- a group who advocates for the protection of human life. This term can be viewed as positive within the community that identifies with this position.

Pro-Choice- a group who advocates for the legal rights for an individual to make their own decisions pertaining human life. The term can be viewed as positive within the community that supports this position.

Conservative- a group who support traditional values. This term can be viewed as both positive and negative, but it’s often associated with stability.

Liberal- a group who supports social and political reform. This term can be viewed as positive and negative, but it’s often associated with social justice.

Progressive- a group who advocate for social reform and progress. This term can be viewed as positive, highlighting a commitment to advancement.

Transgender- a person who gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. This term can be viewed as positive, reflecting acceptance and understanding of gender diversity.

GOAT- refers to someone that is considered the best in a particular field. This term can be viewed as positive, acknowledging excellence and achievements.

Romcom- refers to a genre of film characterized by a focus on comedic elements and romantic relationships. This term can be viewed as positive, associated with light-hearted entertainment.

D) Gay- originally meant carefree or happy. The new word that replaced it is LGBQT.

Indian- refers to indigenous peoples of American. The new word that replaced it is Native Americans.

Miss- originally meant to address a young unmarried women. The new word that replaced it is Ms.

Colored- originally meant any person that is not white. The new word that replaced it is Black.

E) The word gyp, stewardess, and retarded can be viewed as offensive. Reason is because gyp is considered a racial slur derived by “Gypsy”, stewardess is considered outdated and sexiest, and retarded is considered to describe a person with intellectual disabilities.

F) I sometimes be confused when establishments asked what my pronoun is seeing that I’m masculine presenting, but I’ve learned that in today’s society everything is specific, so I just tell them I identify as he/him.

G) I identify as he/him being that I was born a man and present myself that way.

H) Cisgender, virtual reality, emoji, selfie, streaming, cryptocurrency.

I) Bae, lit, on fleek, vibing, thirsty, salty.

tanya
    Participant

A) Antique, grown, heavy-set, chunky, bigger
    B) Lazy/relaxed, Moody/sensitive, Arrogant/confident, talkative/outgoing, indecisive/thoughtful
    C) Woke- being aware of political issues,(negative)

politically correct- being correct about a political belief, negative)
    cancel culture- publicly calling out/boycotting an individual because of their actions or statements, (negative)
    foodie- someone who has an interest in food, cooking, going out to try new foods, etc, (positive)
    influencer-an individual who has a platform most likely on social media and uses it to influence an audience usually based on their hobbies, like fashion or food, etc, (positive)
    pro-life- someone who opposes abortion, they believe abortion is murder and should not be allowed (usually negative)
    pro-choice- someone who believes a woman should choose whether or not to undergo an abortion (usually positive)
    conservative- more traditional beliefs, usually refers to the Republican political party, (usually negative)
    liberal- generally more open-minded beliefs, refers to the Democratic political party, (sometimes positive, but usually negative connotation)
    progressive trans- someone who wants to change their gender identity (negative)
    GOAT- “Greatest of All Time” (positive)
    romcom (a type of movie)- a genre of film, romantic comedy (positive)

D) 1. Old vs new meaning
    gay- happy, LGBTQ
    Indian- Native Americans, people of India
    Miss- used for unmarried women, any woman despite marital status
    colored- used to describe anyone that isn’t European, now it is considered offensive and the correct term is “people of color”
    E) I don’t find any of these terms offensive, I feel like people are too sensitive now. The only thing Id consider offensive is calling a person of disability retarded
    F) I feel that it’s weird when places ask what are my pronouns. Considering that I am a woman I feel like people are lying to themselves asking dumb questions to each other when the answer is obvious. “They” doesn’t make sense to me as a pronoun when it’s supposed to be used for multiple people, not non-binary people
    G) I am a she because I’m a woman and was born that way
    H) Selfie, emoji, live stream
    I) Ode, mad, wack

Osman
    Participant

A) Polite words for items of value:

1. Vintage
    2. Classic
    3. Collectible
    4. Antique

B) Words with harsh and mild expressions:

1. Harsh: Cheap / Mild: Affordable
    2. Harsh: Stubborn / Mild: Determined
    3. Harsh: Lazy / Mild: Relaxed
    4. Harsh: Arrogant / Mild: Confident
    5. Harsh: Stingy / Mild: Thrifty

C) Meanings of current phrases:

1. Woke: Awareness of social justice issues (can be positive or negative depending on perspective)
    2. Politically correct: Using language and behavior to avoid offense (neutral to negative, depending on context)
    3. Cancel culture: Social media-driven boycott or ostracism of individuals or companies (controversial)
    4. Foodie: Enthusiastic about food (neutral to positive)
    5. Influencer: Person with the ability to influence others through social media (neutral to positive)
    6. Pro-life: Anti-abortion stance (positive or negative, depending on perspective)
    7. Pro-choice: Supports the right to choose abortion (positive or negative, depending on perspective)
    8. Conservative: Political ideology favoring traditional values (positive or negative, depending on perspective)
    9. Liberal: Political ideology favoring progressive social policies (positive or negative, depending on perspective)
    10. Progressive: Advocating for social reform (positive or negative, depending on perspective)
    11. Trans: Short for transgender (neutral, but can be controversial in certain contexts)
    12. GOAT: Acronym for “Greatest of All Time” (positive)

D) Changing meanings:

1. Gay: Originally meant happy, now refers to homosexuality
    2. Indian: Originally referred to Native Americans; now used for people from India
    3. Miss: Used as a title for unmarried women, now often used for any woman regardless of marital status
    4. Colored: Historically used to refer to non-white people, now considered outdated and offensive

E) Potentially offensive words and alternatives:

1. Gyp: Offensive (use “cheat” or “swindle”)
    2. Stewardess: Outdated; use “flight attendant”
    3. Waiter: Gender-specific; use “server” or “waitstaff”
    4. Actress: Gender-specific; use “actor” for both genders
    5. Retarded: Offensive; use “intellectually disabled” or “developmentally delayed”

F) Pronouns:

I am an artificial intelligence and don’t have personal pronouns. However, it’s important to respect individuals’ pronoun choices.

G) Preferences:

respecting individuals preferences is crucial amd understanding them.

H) Words related to science and technology:

1. Smartphone
    2. Selfie
    3. Wi-Fi
    4. Emoji
    5. Self-driving
    6. Podcast
    7. Streaming
    8. App
    9. Hashtag
    10. Cybersecurity

I) Words used with peers:

1. Lit (exciting or excellent)
    2. Flex (showing off)
    4. Squad (group of friends)
    6. Clout (influence or popularity)
    7. Ghost (to abruptly end communication)
    8. Tea (gossip or juicy information)
    9. Snack (attractive person)
    10. TBT (Throwback Thursday)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Osman.

braulio
    Participant

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>A) Antique, grown, aged, senior, grown up. chunky,<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />B) poor, uneducated, Arrogant/confident, talkative/outgoing, indecisive/thoughtful<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />C) Woke- being aware about specific information</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>politically correct- being correct about a political belief, negative)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />cancel culture- publicly calling out/boycotting an individual because of their actions or statements, (negative)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />foodie- someone who has an interest in food, cooking, going out to try new foods, etc, (positive)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />influencer-an individual who has a platform most likely on social media and uses it to influence an audience usually based on their hobbies, like fashion or food, etc, (positive)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Pro-life: anti-abortion. Negative for many<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Pro-choice: supporting the choice of wanting abortion or not. <br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />conservative- more traditional beliefs, usually refers to the Republican political party, (usually negative)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />liberal- generally more open-minded beliefs, refers to the Democratic political party, (sometimes positive, but usually negative connotation)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />progressive trans- someone who wants to change their gender identity (negative)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />GOAT- “Greatest of All Time” (positive)<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />romcom (a type of movie)- a genre of film, romantic comedy (positive)</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>D) 1. Old vs new meaning<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Gay: the original definition is the meaning of being happy. Then it was changed to be a negative term something to make fun of other people’s sexuality. People use it in positive and negative ways now.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Indian: Back then it was a term used for native Americans, but now it is used for people originating in India.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Indian- Native Americans, people of India<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />Miss- used for unmarried women, any woman despite marital status<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />colored- used to describe anyone that isn’t white, now it is considered offensive and the correct term is “people of color”<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />E) I don’t find any of these terms offensive, I feel like people are too sensitive now. <br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />F) It’ll feel weird when places ask what my pronouns are.  I feel like people are lying to themselves when the answer is obvious. “They” doesn’t make sense to me as a pronoun when it’s supposed to be used for multiple people, not one person <br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />G) I am a he because I’m a man and was born that way<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />H) Selfie, virtual reality, drones.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />I) mostly cuss words and for real, on god, bet and I’m dumb tight</p>

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

A) Vintage, Antique, Classic, Vestige

B) Arrogant/Confident, Honest/Blunt, Old/Aged, Lazy/Carefree

C) Woke: Awareness of social injustice (can be positive/negative depending on context and one’s perspective)
    Politically Correct: measures that are taken to avoid offending people (Neutral/negative)
    Cancel Culture: Ostracizing people for behaving in an unacceptable manner (negative)
    Foodie: Someone who likes food (positive)
    Influencer: Someone who creates content that influences people (positive)
    Pro-life: Person who’s against abortion (Positive or Negative)
    Pro-Choice: Person who’s for Abortion (Positive or Negative)
    Conservative: Someone who conserves tradition (usually negative)
    Liberal: someone who’s open to different opinions other than theirs (Negative)
    Progressive: Someone who advocates for social reforms (negative)
    Trans: someone who changed their gender (positive or negative depending on who’s saying it in what context)
    Goat: It is an acronym for greatest of all time (positive)

D) Gay: Used to mean Happy, now means lgbt.
    Indian: refers to indigenous peoples of America, now means people from India.
    Miss: a suffix for an unmarried woman. It’s are now used regardless of marital status.
    Colored: Used to reference people of color, now outdated and considered offensive.

E) Gyp: Not offensive to me, but can be considered offensive because it’s derived from “Gypsy”, and can be replaced with Swindle or Cheat.
    Stewardess: I don’t find it offensive, but can be considered outdated by others since it specifically refers to women and is replaced with “Flight Attendant.”
    Waiter: Not offensive to me, but usually specific for Males and can be replaced with “Server”.
    Actress: Not offensive to me, gender-specific for Females, can be replaced with “Actor” for both men and women.
    Retarded: Offensive, can be replaced with “Intellectually disabled”.

F and G) I’m born a female and I’m a woman, so it’s just “She/Her”, this question is pretty irrelevant to me.

H) Self-driving cars, Hashtag, Selfie, Virtual Reality, AI

I) Wack, Tea (Drama info), Salty, nah

Mariadelmar Marin
    Participant

A) Old: Mature, Senior, Up in years, Gray-haired.

Fat: Plump, Big-boned, Solid, Meaty, Bulk, Curvy.

ex-president: Former President, Past President, Ex-Chairman, Earlier President, Past Leader, Last President.

B) Harsh- Cheater/ Mild-Ladies Man

Harsh-Retarded/Mild-Mentally Challenge

Harsh-Prostitute/Mild-Male Escort

Harsh-Midget/Mild-Little Person

Harsh-Bitch/Mild-Female Dog

C) a:Woke: enlighten -negative(we don’t usually know everything, its more to be nosey, no lifer)

b:Politically Correct-Being extremely careful in whatever is said, to not offend or make fun of any group in society that is a minority due to their race, sexual orientation etc. – negative:nowadays we can’t express ourselves with how we feel, where is our right for freedom of speech?

c:Cancel Culture- to stop supporting a celebrity or somebody who influences society who have done things that aren’t socially accepted today- positive/negative I believe in depends on what! nowadays society has become very fragile and things are taken out of proportion.

d:Foodie- a person who is knowledgeable of food and cultural cuisine. Its positive-who doesn’t like to eat?

e:Influencer-is a person who influences society; we tend to follow these people because they promote businesses and sometimes we want to be like them. Positive/negative- I believe it depends on the type of influence this person is sharing.

f:Pro-life:is the right to life, no abortion. Negative-I believe in this being a choice.

g:Pro-choice:is in favor of abortion. positive-I believe, it is a women choice to either decide whether to keep a baby or to abort; especially when there has been rape, early childhood pregnancy and children coming with disabilities. Early abortion isn’t a crime.

h:Conservative:holding traditional ideas. Negative/Positive- Im more of a trying new things, new beginnings, new systems however, speaking in politics, this is positive. Conservative, it’s more of a republican system than democrat.

I:Liberal:democrats, promote individuals rights, free enterprise, welfare, using people’s taxes for everyone, not caring if they work harder than others. Negative

j:Progressivetrans: a person that likes to dress and dress others as their opposite sex. Negative

k:Goat:greatest of all time. Positive

l:Romcom:romantic comedy -Positive

D) Gay:happy. Now means homosexual/lesbian.

Indian: Indians (indigenous people). Now means a person from India.

Miss: a woman who isn’t married. Now the word Ms. replaced Miss.

Colored: a person who isn’t white in skin color. Now its changed to black.

E) Gyp:offensive-cheat or swindle.

Stewardess- Not offensive but now it’s a male/female job. Flight attendant.

Waiter- Not offensive but now it’s a male/female job. Server.

Actress- Not offensive but now it’s a male/female job. Actor can be male and female.

Retarded- Offensive, it’s a disability of a person who is mentally challenge. it can be formally said mentally disabled or mentally delayed.

F)I don’t really like pronouns, but if I have to say mines I would say She/her/hers.

G)I don’t like pronouns because people obviously knows when a female is a female, a male is a male. I believe pronouns were created by LGBTQ because now with sex change, and all the social development, it identifies gender without offending a person.

H)Selfie stick, smartphones, dvd player, plasma tv, iPads, routers, wifi.

I)Lit, Slay, capped, on God, deadass, pause, no-homo, ayo, whose mans, brick, popping.

ibrahim
    Participant

A) Vintage, classic, timeless, antique, retro, traditional, well-aged, mature

B) Harsh: Lazy Mild: Relaxed, Harsh: Stupid Mild: Naive, Harsh: Failure Mild: Setback, Harsh: Stubborn Mild: Determined, Harsh: Ignorant Mild: Uninformed, Harsh: Fat Mild: Curvy, Harsh: Old Mild: Vintage

C) Woke – Awareness of social justice issues, can be viewed positively by some and negatively by others.

Politically correct – Using language or behavior that avoids offending or marginalizing particular groups, can be seen as positive or negative depending on one’s perspective.

Cancel culture – The practice of boycotting or withdrawing support for individuals or companies deemed to have engaged in objectionable behavior, often viewed negatively.

Foodie – Someone who enjoys and appreciates food, generally seen as positive.

Influencer – Someone who has the ability to influence the purchasing decisions or opinions of others, can be seen as positive or negative depending on one’s perspective.

Pro-life – Supporting the right to life of unborn children, viewed positively by supporters and negatively by opponents.

Pro-choice – Supporting the right of individuals to make their own decisions about their reproductive health, viewed positively by supporters and negatively by opponents.

Conservative – Favoring traditional values and institutions, viewed positively by some and negatively by others.

Liberal – Favoring progressive social and political reforms, viewed positively by some and negatively by others.

Progressive – Advocating for social or political change and reform, viewed positively by some and negatively by others.

Trans – Short for transgender, relating to individuals whose gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth, can be seen as positive or negative depending on one’s perspective.

GOAT (Greatest of All Time) – Referring to someone or something as the best in their field or category, generally seen as positive.

Romcom – A romantic comedy movie, typically viewed as a neutral term.

D) Gay: Originally meant happy or carefree, now commonly used to refer to homosexuality.

Indian: Originally referred to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, now considered outdated and replaced by Native American or Indigenous.

Miss: Used as a title of respect for unmarried women, now considered outdated and sometimes replaced by Ms.

Colored: Historically used as a racial term for non-white people, now considered offensive and replaced by terms like African American or person of color.

E) Gyp: Offensive term derived from Gypsy, now replaced by cheat or swindle.

Stewardess: Considered outdated and replaced by flight attendant.

Waiter: Gender-specific term, replaced by server or waitstaff.

Actress: Gender-specific term, replaced by actor for both genders.

Retarded: Offensive term, replaced by intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.

F) I feel it’s kind of weird to ask people their pronouns because a person can identify them by their appearance or facial looks.

G) I’m HIM because I was born a male

H) Smartphone, selfie, emoji, app, streaming

I) Lit, savage, flex, snatched, thirsty

Yaritza Torres
    Participant
      <li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
      A) Some less offensive words for old people are the elderly, senior citizens, and grown-ups. For fat, we can use curvy, plus size, thick, and plump.
      B) Lazy/relaxed, stubborn/determined, retared/mentally challenged.

C)  woke: someone who is politically or socially aware. This could be both negative or positive because I do believe that it’s good to be aware but sometimes people get too sensitive and take it too far.

Politically correct: when someone tries not to offend any group. This is problematic because people would be reluctant to express their true feelings for fear of offending someone.

Cancel culture: when someone is publicly rejected for theory unaccepted views or actions. This is negative because it doesn’t result in social change. It’s a group of people harassing other people.

Foodie: A person who loves food. This can be both positive and negative because I think it’s ok to love food, I love food, but it can also be used to call someone fat.

Influencer: A person who influences people to buy the items they are selling. Both positive and negative because it depends on what they are trying to sell.

Pro-life: A person who is against abortion. Negative because I believe abortion is a woman’s right and her choice.

Pro-choice: A person who is for abortion. Positive because a woman has the right to an abortion, especially if she was raped. I don’t think it’s right to tell women what to do or not do with their bodies.

Conservative:  people who have right-leaning ideologies. This can be both positive and negative because they occasionally make some very good points, but there are also some instances where I disagree with them.

Liberal: People who have left-leaning ideologies. This is negative because liberal people are the biggest crybabies ever.

GOAT: The greatest of all time. Positive because it means that you’re the greatest.

Rom-com: A movie that has both romance and comedy. Positive because I think rom-coms are cute. There’s nothing wrong with them.

D) Gay- happy or homosexual.

Indian- indigenous people or people from India.

Miss- a woman who isn’t married or can be Ms. replaced Miss.

Colored: A person who is not white or black people.

E) Gyp- I don’t think it’s offensive, I think it’s funny. I wouldn’t mind if my friend used this on me.

stewardess- I don’t think it’s offensive because it differentiates between male and female workers.

Waiter- Not offensive because it differentiates between male and female workers.

Actress- It is not offensive because it differentiates between male and female workers

retarted- offensive because it means you’re intellectually dumb.

F) My pronouns are she/her but I don’t say them because I’m clearly a woman.

<li style=”list-style-type: none”>
      G) Pronouns are so stupid because I’m clearly a woman so I will obviously use she/her pronouns. No, women can not have he/him pronouns and men cannot have she/her pronouns. And no one is they/them. If they call themselves they/them, then they have a mental problem.

H) Technical difficulties
    i-phone

Streaming

Ipad

I) rizz- romantic appeal

Slay- Impressed

Periot-  when you agree with someone or praise someone.

Cap-Lying

Ebnay
    Participant

a) Fat: plump, plus size, chunky

Old: mature, vintage, classic, well-aged

b) failed/unsuccessful, lazy/relaxed, stubborn/persistent, Cheap/frugal, arrogant/confident

c)Woke-someone who is aware of the social consciousness (can be negative due to the connotation from those who view it as overly politically correct)

Politically correct- sensitive language or actions that are avoided in order to not offend the masses (It depends on the context but overall negative or neutral)

Cancel culture- the practice of withdrawing support of people after they done something controversial (negative)

Foodie- someone who is passionate about food (positive)

Influencer- a person who as influence over people due to social media (it depends on the context on what the influencer does but overall positive)

Pro-life- Anti-abortion (positive or negative depends on stance)

Pro-choice- The right to abort (positive or negative depends on stance)

Conservative- someone with traditional values (negative)

Liberal-someone with more open-minded beliefs (negative)

Progressive- someone who advocates for social reform (negative)

Trans- short for transgender (depends on the person, negative)

GOAT- greatest of all time (positive)

romcom – a romantic comedy (positive)

d)

Previous meaning:

Gay – happy

Indian- Native Americans

Miss- unmarried woman

Colored- non-white people

Current meaning:

Gay-homosexual

Indian- someone from India

Miss- used for any woman

Colored- replaced with people of color

e)

I don’t think any of these words are offensive unless they are used in the wrong context.

f)

It doesn’t really bother me because I just feel like it just apart of society now.

g)

I am a he/him because I been a man ever since I was born.

h)

smartphone, virtual reality, wi-fi, crypto, selfie

i) ode, my heart, tight, nah

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.