ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 3/26/2024 special "artistic" quoting

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

We need to practice basic internal quoting since many students have problems with that very important college writing skill.  We will work on that starting Thursday.

However, to learn something new, I am giving you a “special quoting assignment” to complete by our next class. If we were meeting in person, this would take about 75-90 minutes of class time.

If you do it well, you might like to use this technique in your next essay and your research paper…

It is below, and your responses should be posted here in Discussion.

Special quoting assignment (suggested time: 75 minutes after we read these three pages)

Starting an essay with an interesting quote that is relevant to your topic is an interesting “attention grabber” and it shows that you are intelligent, making intellectual connections between well-known quotes and your essay topic.

Such quotes are not documented like internal quotes need to be. During our next class, we will start practicing those kinds that you need for research papers.

By “well-known” quotes, we are talking about quotes you know, that you read or learned or heard and found memorable. The implication is you did not have to Google it; you knew it.

Here is an example. There was a real doctor, named Kevorkian, who offered to euthanize people who had incurable illnesses. He was later arrested.

The Man Who Offered to Kill   (your original title should be centered)

“To be or not to be, that is the question.” –William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Now you write the introduction of your imaginary essay, here represented by nonsense typing sjsdhjfejekfpe jdfowjwsjfwj adjjdsjdsj jdj. djkdsjdso woosjdsod sosksksk skskpspspsusgsdflgflos sdofododo ojh eopoefkfpdk sjsdhjfejekfpe jdfowjwsjfwj adjjdsjdsj jdj. djkdsjdso woosjdsod sosksksk skskpspspsusgsdflgflos sdofododo ojh eopoefkfpdk sjsdhjfejekfpe jdfowjwsjfwj adjjdsjdsj jdj djkdsjdso woosjdsod sosksksk skskpspspsusgsdflgflos sdofododo ojh eopoefkfpdk sjsdhjfejekfpe. jdfowjwsjfwj adjjdsjdsj jdj djkdsjdso woosjdsod sosksksk skskpspspsusgsdflgflos sdofododo ojh eopoefkfpdk.

Everyone probably knows the quote, “To be or not to be.” You do not have to have read Hamlet by William Shakespeare to know this. But…do you know what it is about?

In the play Hamlet, Hamlet–the Prince of Denmark, whose father the King has already died before the play even starts–is depressed and morose. His mother, the Queen, has married his uncle, who is the new King. That is bad enough, but later Hamlet is visited by his father’s Ghost, who explains that the other man, his own brother, schemed with his wife to murder him. Hamlet is so distraught, he thinks about doing something…no, not revenge. He contemplates suicide. The famous words are about suicide: being alive or not.

Now, if you were going to write an essay on euthanasia, assisted suicide, or suicide and you start your essay with this quote, you would impress your reader with your scope of knowledge.

Such an opening quote is not actually part of your introduction paragraph. It is on a separate line between your original title (that you created for your essay) and your first paragraph.

You may want to make it look different by using italics, maybe even a slightly smaller font. Please remember: normally you must underline or italicize a published title of a play, a novel, or a film, so…if you italicize (or underline) the quote, this time, you do not italicize or underline the title. It is the opposite of what you would treat a published title in an essay.
    Oh, one more thing: when you create a title of your own, and you should, your title is just centered and most of the words are capitalized. You can find out on your own which title words do not get capitalized.

Now let’s see which quotes you already know.

A) Think of famous quotes or quote you like. Where do they come from? Think of any quotes you know from the following sources and write them down:

• from the Bible
    • from history (That which was news when it happened if it lasts become history and, of course, it could be from hundreds of years ago)
    • from literature (a play, a novel, a poem, a short story)
    • from movies
    • from music (probably some lyrics, not merely a song title)
    • from commercials
    Go ahead, think of some and actually write them down and post them on Moodle (or send them to me in an email). Some of them may be just for fun, not useful for any future essay, but you get the point.

I suggest you lean more to sources in movies and music that your teachers might have knowledge of, for example if you like a particular movie from another country that none of your readers ever heard of, that is not necessarily a good choice. If you want to quote a new recording artist who is not right now a “household name” then at least explain who he or she is.
    Now comes the rest of the assignment which you should also write down and send in OR BETTER STILL POST ON MOODLE:

B) Please look for good quotes ABOUT the following, one quote for each:

Money
    Work
    Children
    Marriage
    Religion
    Please do not just write down the first one you see. Rather, look for one that
    inspires or amuses you.

C) Separately, please look for quotes BY the following about any subject, not just
    the ones above:

Abraham Lincoln (different from B; you are not looking for what these people said about the above topics)
    Mike Tyson
    John Lennon
    Marilyn Monroe
    Mahatma Gandhi
    Then write them down or copy and paste according to this style:

“Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Country.”–John F. Kennedy

Explanation: we all know who Kennedy was, so just his name is sufficient.

If for numbers 1 though 5, you never heard of the writer or speaker, research
    what that person is or was, like poet, politician, philosopher, etc.

“After all, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it
    backwards and in high heels.”–Ann Richards, the 45th governor of Texas

Explanation: most do not know who Richards was, so you add more about her (above).

Most students probably do not know who Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were: a dance team, two actors who made several movies together in the 1930s. A beautiful scene of theirs is in the prison drama The Green Mile (the main sequence start at the 2 minute mark):

Separately, here is a YouTube sampling of their work:

(Reread the quote about them. The point is that the woman did everything the man did but for her it was harder because of her shoes and the fact that usually men take the lead in dancing, so the women do the steps backwards…)

One last thing: for such quotes to be effective, they must be accurate, and here is where you should Google to make sure.
    JFK did not say “Don’t ask,” he said “Ask not.”

tanya
    Participant

A)”Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear” -Quran 2:286

“I had a dream” -Martin Luther King Jr   Isn’t it HAVE, not HAD?

“Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared” -Tupac Shakur

“Im starting with the man in the mirror, Im asking him to change his ways” -Michael Jackson  check your punctuation.  Do you see red lines?

“1877 Kars for Kids K-A-R-S Kars for kids” -Kars4Kids commercial

B)”Money won’t create success, the freedom to make it will” -Nelson Mandela

“A dream does not become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work” -Colin Powell

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men” -Fredrick Douglass

“Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed.” -Albert Einstein

“Once we realize we are all members of humanity, we will want to compete in the spirit of love” -Muhammed Ali

C) “Let none falter, who thinks he is right, and we may succeed” – Abraham Lincoln

“God lets everything happen for a reason” -Mike Tyson

“Love is the flower you’ve got to let grow” -John Lennon

“A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her” -Marilyn Monroe

“Its easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone” -Mahatma Gandhi

Good quotes but two problems:  you need dashes, not hyphens.  Dashes are two hypens in a row.  You also aren’t using apostrophes where you need them

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by tanya.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Prof. Masiello.

Caitlyn Murphy
    Participant

all of your sources needed dashes, not hyphens.

—  (two hypens= a dash)

A)

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16

“May the force be with you.” – Star Wars

“Just do it.”- Nike

“Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.” – The Beatles–specifically in their case, you need to credit the songwriter, either John Lenon or, more likely, Paul McCartney.

B)

“Money often costs too much.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Chose a job you live, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius    LOVE

“Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.”- Neil Postman   Do you know who that is?

“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin  Do you know who that is?

“Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.” – Napolean Bonaparte

C)

“Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Abraham Lincoln

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.” – Mike Tyson

“Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.” – John Lennon  He was not the first person to say this even though he may be on record for it.  It predates him by many years.

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Your quotes are very entertaining.

Mariadelmar Marin
    Participant

A) “Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths” Psalm 25:4.

“Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly” John F. Kennedy.

“Love looks not with the eyes” Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’  Italicize the title of a play or film

“Never hate your enemies, it clouds your judgment” The Godfather.        Italicize the title of a play or film

“If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing I’d like to do is to save every day till eternity passes away” Jim Croce.

“Greatness is not born, it’s made” Nike.

B) “Money won’t create success, the freedom to make it will” Nelson Mandala.

“The only way to do great work is to love what you do” Steve Jobs.

“The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil” Walt Disney.

“Keep your eyes wide open before marriage and half shut aftewards” Benjamin Franklin.

“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness” Dalai Lama.

C) “Those who look for bad in people will surely find it” -Abraham Lincoln.

Explanation: people have their limits, once you try me, you will find me.

“I’m a bad guy. But if I was a good guy, nobody would want to pay to see me fight” -Mike Tyson.

“Reality leaves a lot to the imagination” -John Lennon.

“A wise girl knows her limits, a smart girl knows that she has none” -Marilyn Monroe.

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world” -Mahatma Gandhi. 

Explanation: In a gentle manner, we can impact the world.

All of your quotes need dashes, not hyphens, between the quotes and the sources.  

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

A) “No one will reap except what they sow” – Quran 6:164
    “Common sense is not so common.” – Voltaire
    “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something” – Dread Pirate Roberts, Princess Bride      Italicize the title of a play or film
    “Every gun makes its own tune.” – Blondie, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly  song titles need quote marks
    “Take care of those you call your own and keep good company.” – Good Company, Queen  people before titles
    “The milk chocolate that melts in your mouth, not in your hand.” – M&M’s slogan

B) “Never spend your money before you have earned it.”- Thomas Jefferson
    “Don’t count the days, make the days count.” – Muhammad Ali
    “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children” – Nelson Mandela
    “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”- Mignon McLaughlin  Do you know who that is?
    “My principles are more important than the money or my title.” – Mohammed Ali

C) ” The tempt for greatness is the biggest drug in the world.” – Mike Tyson
    “There’s no other time but the present. Anything else is a waste of time.” – John Lennon
    “I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.” – Marilyn Monroe
    “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Good quotes, but you needed dashes in each of them.

Kyyoung98
    Participant

A) “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.” – Psalms 23:1

“I move onward, the only direction/ Can’t be scared to fail in the search of perfection.” – Jay Z, On To The Next One

“Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys.” – Dead Poets Society

B) “Rule number 1- Never lose money. Rule number 2- Never forget rule number one.” – Warren Buffet

“The most certain way to succeed is always try to just one more time.” – Thomas Edison

“Children are the world ‘s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.” – John F. Kennedy

“Only married people understand how you can be miserable and happy at the same time.” – Chris Rock

“Religion is the opiate of the masses.” – Karl Marx

C) “Teach the children so it will not be necessary to teach the adults.” – Abraham Lincoln

“Real freedom is having nothing. I was freer when I didn’t have a cent.” – Mike Tyson

“Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.” – John Lennon

“Happiness is not in money, but in shopping.” – Marilyn Monroe

“Where love is, there God is also.” – Mahatma Gandhi

braulio
    Participant

A)

“give all your worries and cares to god, for he cares about you.” — I Peter 5:7

” Parting is such sweet sorrow”  — William Shakespeare’s  <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Romeo and Juliet</span>

“may the force be with you”   — Star Wars

“just do it” — Nike

B)

“no amount of money bought a second of time” — Howard Stark, Avengers: Endgame

“one day or day one” — Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson

“Adults are just outdated children” — Dr. Suess

“Make sure you say I do to more than one person… when you marry somebody ten years later that person is gonna be somebody else. Ten years after that, they somebody else, People evolve they change.” – Madea, A Madea Homecoming

“When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad, that’s my religion” — Abraham Lincoln

C)

“Nothing valuable can be lost when taking time.” –Abraham Lincoln

” Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth.” — Mike Tyson

” everything will be ok in the end, if it’s not ok then it’s not the end.” –John Lennon

” I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.” –Marilyn Monroe

“you must be the change you wish to see in the world” — Mahatma Gandhi

Yaritza Torres
    Participant

A)

“Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” — 1 John 4:8

“A world without nuclear weapons would be less stable and more dangerous for all of us.” – Marget Thatcher

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

“May the force be with you” – Star Wars franchise

“I don’t wanna die, I sometimes wish I’d never been born at all” – Queen

“we have the meats” – Arbys

B)

“The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax.” – Albert Einstein

“Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction.” – Anne Frank

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” – Frederick Douglass

“There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.” – Princess Diana

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” – Albert Einstein

c)

“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.” – Abraham Lincoln

“I don’t understand why people would want to get rid of pigeons. They don’t bother no one.” – Mike Tyson

“Everybody loves you when you’re six feet in the ground.” – John Lennon

“Don’t you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn’t marry a girl just because she’s pretty, but my goodness, doesn’t it help?” – Marliyn Monroe

“Action expresses priorities” – Mahatma Gandhi

ibrahim
    Participant

A) “Love your neighbor as yourself.” – Mark 12:31

“I have a dream.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” – Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

“May the Force be with you.” – Star Wars

“Imagine all the people living life in peace.” – John Lennon, Imagine

“Just do it.” – Nike Money:

“The lack of money is the root of all evil.” – Mark Twain

B) Work: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius

Children: “Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.” – John F. Kennedy

Marriage: “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin

Religion: “Religion is the opium of the people.” – Karl Marx

C) Abraham Lincoln: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”

Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

John Lennon: “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.”

Marilyn Monroe: “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Mahatma Gandhi: “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

Sofia Quinde
    Participant

A)

“This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” — Luke 22:19-20

“We all require and want respect, man or woman, Black or white. It’s our basic human right.” — Aretha Franklin

“About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn’t know how potent that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”― Stephenie Meyer, Twilight

“Those Who Don’t Appreciate Life Do Not Deserve It.”― Saw II (2005)

“Your lips are nettles, your tongue is wine
    Your laughter’s liquid, but your body’s pine
    You love all sailors, but hate the beach
    You say, “Come touch me,” but you’re always out of reach”
    ― Sea Wolf, The Violet Hour

“zestfully clean”― ZEST SOAP

B)

“Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one.”― Benjamin Franklin

“Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.”― Charles J. Sykes

“A torn jacket is soon mended, but hard words bruise the heart of a child.”― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”― Mignon McLaughlin

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with. After all these years I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her.”― Mark Twain

C)

“Nothing is more damaging to you than to do something that you believe is wrong.”― Abraham Lincoln

“You never lose until you actually give up.”― Mike Tyson

“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.”― John Lennon

“Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.”― Marilyn Monroe

“Hate the sin, love the sinner.”― Mahatma Gandhi

Juan B
    Participant

A) “I have a dream” – MLK, “Just Do It” – Nike
    B) The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax. – Albert Einstein, “Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.” – Henry Ford, “A person’s a person, no matter how small” – Dr.Seuss, “If I get married, I want to be very married.” – Audrey Hepburn, “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness” – Dalai
    C) “Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Abraham Lincoln, “Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth” – Mike Tyson, “Everything will be okay in the end, If it’s not okay, it’s not the end” – John Lennon, “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe, “you must be the change you wish to see in the world” — Mahatma Gandhi

Osman
    Participant

A) Famous Quotes from Various Sources

1.Quran “Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.” (Quran 94:6).

2. History:”The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt,

3. Literature: “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” – Jane Austen,

4. Movies:”Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” – Gone With the Wind, 1939.

5. Music: “Imagine all the people living life in peace.” – John Lennon, “Imagine”.

6. Commercials: “Because you’re worth it.” – L’OrĂ©al.

B) Quotes About Specific Topics

1. Money: “Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants.” – Benjamin Franklin.

2. Work: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius.

3. Children: “Children are not things to be molded, but are people to be unfolded.” – Jess Lair.

4. Marriage: “Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.” – Joyce Brothers.

5. Religion: “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” – Dalai Lama.

C) Quotes By Specific Individuals

1. Abraham Lincoln: “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”

2. Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”

3. John Lennon: “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” From the song “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy),”

4. Marilyn Monroe: “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
    5. Mahatma Gandhi: “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

Rafael Rocha
    Participant

A: Movies: “May the Force be with you.” – Star Wars
    Music: “I have nothing, nothing, nothing if I don’t have you.” – Whitney Houston, “I Have Nothing”
    Commercials: “Just do it.” – Nike

B: Money: “Money often costs too much.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Work: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius
    Children: “Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.” – Neil Postman

C: Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”
    John Lennon: “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.”
    Marilyn Monroe: “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

A) “No one will reap except what they sow” – Quran 6:164
    “Common sense is not so common.” – Voltaire
    “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something” – Dread Pirate Roberts, Princess Bride
    “Every gun makes its own tune.” – Blondie, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
    “Take care of those you call your own and keep good company.” – Queen, “Good Company”
    “The milk chocolate that melts in your mouth, not in your hand.” – M&M’s slogan

B) “Never spend your money before you have earned it.”- Thomas Jefferson
    “Don’t count the days, make the days count.” – Muhammad Ali
    “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children” – Nelson Mandela
    “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”- Mignon McLaughlin, American journalist and author
    “My principles are more important than the money or my title.” – Mohammed Ali

C) ” The tempt for greatness is the biggest drug in the world.” – Mike Tyson
    “There’s no other time but the present. Anything else is a waste of time.” – John Lennon
    “I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.” – Marilyn Monroe
    “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Gandhi

JaNiya J
    Participant

One well-known quote from the Bible is from Philippians 4:13 (NIV): “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
    A classic movie quote comes from “The Godfather” (1972): “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
    “Just Do It.” – Nike
    One powerful line from a song is from “Imagine” by John Lennon: “Imagine all the people living life in peace.”

“Money often costs too much.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
    “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” – Confucius
    “A child miseducated is a child lost.” – John F. Kennedy
    “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
    “Religion is the opium of the people.” – Karl Marx

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” (Mike Tyson)
    “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.”(John Lennon)
    “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”(Marilyn Monroe)
    “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.