ENG 1121 D476 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due 5PM on 11/17: Analyze TED talk

C Pichardo
    Participant

1. Watch Greta Thunberg’s TED talk on the Course Calendar with Readings. Pick a moment when she uses one of the rhetorical appeals (ethos, pathos, logos) well. Quote what she says and explain why that’s an effective use of the rhetorical appeal.

Greta Thundberg quote:
    “And why should I be studying for a future that soon will be no more when no one is doing anything whatsoever to save that future?”
    I feel it is an effective use of both pathos and logos rhetorical appeal. It is very logical way of thinking. Why prepare to build a bright future for yourself when our species (and other species, of course) will die out due to climate change? It seems we should all focus on solving climate change; our attention shouldn’t be focused on other things. It is great use of rhetorical appeal logos because it gets you thinking of the obvious that sometimes people overlook. In this example, why prepare for something that will be cut dramatically short – our future? It tells us that their are bigger issues to solve; and basically begs us to wake up. This quote also uses pathos rhetorical appeal because it is extremely personal, and it is coming from a child. A child who is supposed to be our future, telling the world she has no future because of what our species has done. That is powerful, and makes it great use of rhetorical appeal because it may help more people realize how serious this is; awaken people’s desire to help make change. Both use of pathos and logos rhetorical appeals are effective because it holds tremendous shock value, which can influence people to make social change.

2. How can you effectively use rhetorical appeals in your own remix project? Which rhetorical appeal do you think that you’ll use the most?
    I think I’ll use logos and pathos in my remix project. I’d like to provide shock value using factual information through facts in text, and pathos through imagery to awaken people’s desire to make change.

StrongHaven
    Participant

“Instead of looking for hope, look for action then and only then will hope come”. I would believe this is pathos because it makes people take action and hope.
    2. I can use this as an effective way of trying to reach other people about what my remix is all about

Farai Matangira
    Participant

At around 2:15, Greta states that “We aren’t very good at lying, and we usually don’t enjoy participating in the social game that the rest of you seem so fond of”. This is an effective way of using pathos to gain a reaction fro the audience. She uses her diagnosis of OCD and selective mutism to create an emotional connection between her and the audience and then proceeds to point out how everyone else’s use of social media in a manner that does not advocate for change.

I plan on using pathos to bridge the gap between the audience and the author, as some people may not be familiar with my topic. This includes using images and text that emotionally appeal to the audience.

haroodg
    Participant

“ For those of us who are on the spectrum, almost everything is black or white. We aren’t very good at lying, and we usually don’t enjoy participating in this social game that the rest of you seem so fond of. ” This quote is a good example of pathos and ethos. The reason I believe that this is an effective use of these two rhetorical appeals of a because of her illness and comment. With her being on the spectrum and with the specific disorders that she has give her credibility about what she is saying. She’s not doing it because it will give her fame or money but because it is something that is apparent and should be fixed by the nations and people in charge. At the same time she was able to make a joke by saying “ we usually don’t enjoy participating in this social game that the rest of you seem so fond of. ” Show the disconnect between her and “regular people” by poking fun at them.
    I will be using pathos to convince my target audience. Since I want to change the attitude of people that play rocket league.

Pema Choesang
    Participant

1) “Instead of looking for hope, look for action and only then hope will come” This quote is an effective use of pathos because it makes the audience think about ways in which they can save the earth.

2) For my remix project , I could use rhetorical appeals such as logos and pathos to get my message across

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.