ENG 1101 Fall 2020 OL20 (26956)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Please post your responses to the three readings

alhasen
    Participant

Discussion post for the story “Girl”

The characters are the mother and the daughter. The narrator is the mother. The girl is probably in her teenage years. The mother is doing most of the talking/ordering. The other person/girl replied to her mother’s instruction quite a bit. I believe the writer uses semicolons to separate the list of instructions the mother is providing to her daughter. The story is about how the mother wants to teach her daughter not to be a disappointment to her family. She wants to teach her to be ladylike. As a boy in an arabic/muslim family my parents taught me lots of things. Some of the advice the mother is giving to her daughter is relatable like “how to behave in the presence of men”. My parents taught me to always greet guests in a respectful way and to serve them food. Yes, because when I read that part the first thing that came to mind is how relatable it is. Whenever I question my parents I will always get a reply somewhat like that.

Discussion about “Salvation”

This is Langston Hughes’s story. Langston is twelve years old in his narrative. In islam, our place of worship is a mosque the time I go there is during our Friday prayer. I believe “religious salvation” is happening on that day. I believe he doesn’t want to disappoint the people in the church so he lied. When I was 15 years old I was hanging out with my friend and his friends. We went to the park to play soccer. One hour later we went out to their secret spot to sit, that’s when my friend took out a pack of cigarettes he gave to everybody then he offered to me I was going to decline but then they began to pressure me to smoke with them. Peers are the people you spend time with and can be your classmates and your friends. Peer pressure is when the people you hang out with try to encourage you to do something. Peer pressure can be both good and bad because you can be peer pressure to help you do your tasks or you can be peer pressure to using harmful substances. Connotation refers to the good and bad association. Whereas denotation refers to the actual definition of a word. Langston’s mistake is he thought he was going to see Jesus. Yes, because everyone whether old or young is entitled to his belief. He will grow up and still doesn’t believe in god.

Discussion post for “Young Goodman Brown”

There was a witch trial that occurred between 1692 and 1693. People were being accused of practicing witchcraft. 20 people were accused. The character’s name shows who they are, like Goodman Brown and Faith. I can’t think of any name that seemed appropriate or even symbolic. The object that is associated with his wife’s appearance is the “pink ribbons”. It symbolizes her adolescence. I believe they are 16-19 years old. Goodman Brown was going to meet up with an elder traveler at the forest. When the elder traveler “plucked a branch of maple to serve as a walking stick.” and it began to “withered and dried”. He began to hear many voices. He also hears his wife’s familiar voice. He cried out “my faith is gone”. The double meaning is his wife is gone or his actual faith in himself is gone. The charters have been narrating this story because everything seems like “first person.” I have many dreams of building my own personal computer but I haven’t taken action yet. I don’t forget my dream. I feel that the author seems unreasonable. Many people make 1 bad deed and it takes many good deeds just to redeem themselves. I feel people are people, their actions are what makes them good and bad.

Walter Guaman JR
    Participant

“Girl”

1. The Girl which is the daughter and also the mother.
    2. The narrator seems to be the mother by the way she speaks and because of her mannerisms and the wisdom she has
    3. In the short story the Girl is a teenager, and the way that she’s going astray causes her mom to come in to try and give her advice and teach her how to be more mature and have her best intentions at heart.
    4. The mother is doing most of the talking because she is trying to give her daughter advice, trying to make her understand why certain things that she is doing isn’t going to benefit her.
    5. I know when the other person is talking by the way she speaks and also how the other changes the font to italics when the girl is speaking. When the mother is speaking you can sense that the way the mother speaks she has more experience with what’s happening in the girls life more than the girl herself.
    6. The semicolon is used to indicate that the mother doesn’t want to stop talking and that she doesn’t want her daughter to share her opinions, also it shows that there is a sense of immediacy when she talks because she’s trying to get all this information and advice across to her daughter.
    7. The story is about a girl being raised in a very stern household. Throughout the story the mother raises her so that she can better fit in and have some self respect when it comes to herself and to also be able to do very customary things in her everyday life as a young girl.
    8. I relate to the “Girl” because at a very young age and even now sometimes I’m still getting advice from my parents and they try to guide me so that I don’t go . They show me very simple tasks that I should know so that I can fit in to society.
    9. The irony of the baker part of the story is that the mother literally just finished talking to her daughter and in her head she thought the daughter was listening to her but the daughter still questions the mother. Since she is still young she may not understand what her mother is trying to convey.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.