COMD 3633, Advanced Strategies in Illustration, FA23

• Dream Client List
  • #88738

SandyClafford

While creating my dream client this week I realized I was going to have to remove Scholastics from the list, and here’s why…. Scholastics is requiring librarians to opt into receiving a collection called “Share Every Story, Celebrate every voice,’ which includes diverse books. What this means is if they don’t opt in, the books aren’t included in the fair, and this applies to elementary schools. As professor Wolley stated last week, we have to decideĀ  what company we want to work with, and not based on our moral standings. Scholastic allowing the opt out option in my opinion, aligns with the ban on Critical Race Theory and excludes and silence the narratives ofĀ  under representedĀ  and oppressed groups. Being apart of one of those groups I cannot support the ignorance and the denial of the our voices being heard. It really pains me to say that because Scholastic has been a big part of my childhood, and this feels like a betray. This further adds to the segregation/divide and inequity in race relations and education. I have long look forward to the times when our voices would be heard and our children would have something to identify in themselves, but that is challengedĀ  everyday. It makes me wonder what type of work environment I would have to look forward to with Scholastics and are they really here for diversity andĀ  inclusion.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)