Being in Brooklyn

You are currently viewing a revision titled "Project 2 Draft.", saved on October 2, 2013 at 10:20 am by Henry.Li
Title
Project 2 Draft.
Content
The Landmark I chose was the Brooklyn Bridge. It is a 10-15 min walk from City Tech. It is such a magnificent sight that it catches my eye instantly as I passed it every time I travel from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back. It was the longest bridge of it’s time when it was first opened on May 24, 1883. You can see the Staten Island Terminal, The Statue of Liberty, and the development of the new piers when you are on the bridge itself. “You start building your own New York the time you lay your eyes on the city itself” was once said by the author of The Colossus of New York: “City Limits”. This quote means that you start to develop your own way of how you interpret the city of New York the moment you see something in the city that catches your eye, or the city itself. This quote relates to my reason of choosing the Brooklyn Bridge as the main idea of my project because not only does the bridge allow people to cross over to other boroughs of New York, it allows people to sight see almost everything between Manhattan and Brooklyn. “The New York City you live in is not my New York City” is another quote also once said by Colson Whitehead which also relates to another reason that why I chose the Brooklyn Bridge for my project. It relates because I see the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the other parts of New York, without it the city would not function how it does with it. As some people might not share that vision with me because they live elsewhere.
Excerpt
Footnotes