AFR1130 Africana Folklore Fall 2018

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Identity

Jasmine J
    Participant

Do you think that a person, particularly a person of color in the United States of America, can freely make that choice for herself/himself in today’s society? Why or Why not?

I would say yes and no. In today’s society a person of color can make the choice of the person he/she wants to be. However, I wouldn’t say “freely.” Unfortunately, we live in a world where discrimination and stereotypes still occurs. So it makes it more difficult than necessary. I do believe people of color have more opportunities now compared to back then to make the choice but they still do not have enough. People of color are not handed the same amount of opportunities than a person that inst of color. This limits there options and opportunities.

Win Htoo
    Participant

I would say the question to this answer is yes and no. It is true that most of us are all free men today. We can do almost anything we want because of our free will. The society around us are always judging us based on our characteristic, ethic and race. There are still discrimination going own even in NYC the most diverse place in the world. It depends on the situation when it comes to opportunities. People will still judge but we have to adapt to it and make the right choice for ourselves.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.