Visually Enhanced Quotes

The quote I decided to use for the visual enhanced quote project is one by William Ernest Henley. In his poem called, Invictus, he ends his poem saying, “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul”. Ever since I read the poem the last two lines always stuck with me and I felt I could best represent this quote with my art. I decided to create an image through Adobe Photoshop with a woman soaring through the air with joy. This carefree woman best represents what it means to feel alive and what I believe is one of the themes this quote represents, that is being able to master your fate, or in other words, be in control of your life. This woman seems to be confident and enjoying her life with her movement as she as free as the birds around her. The font I used for the quote is Papyrus. I believe this font matches the overall feel of the entire sunset and silhouette of the woman.

For the second design I decided to create an image also using Adobe Photoshop, of the sun over the clouds and ocean waves blending into them. In the center of the image is the quote itself in an all-black font. I created this image because I felt it emphasizes the meaning of being the captain of the soul or being the one leading your spirit into success.  Where a captain who has been in his ship is hopeful of the journey ahead as he looks to the horizon. I feel everyone must be a captain in their life and lead themselves into success. The font I chose was Lucida Handwriting and Impact. I used Impact for the two words “master” and “captain” to emphasize the two important words than went well with the image.

The final design I created using Adobe Photoshop is a silhouette of a man and his soul glowing within his body. The aura of his soul surrounds his body with the text in black and white in front of him. I created this image because I wanted to emphasize the importance of the soul in this quote. To be a captain of the soul means to be charge of your spirit because the soul is what defines all life on earth. I chose Algerian and Mongolian Baiti as the font. I decided to use Algerian for the words “fate” and “soul” because they make the words stand out and be bolder than the rest. These two words are the most important words that match the overall theme of this piece.