4. Breathe, Eyes, Memory.

In this reading section the repercussions of Sophie’s actions seem to catch up to her.

What shocked me however was the fact that her mother was still holding a grudge. Ignoring Sophie’s calls and letters not even making an effort to see her first grandchild. I understand that Sophie did a hurtful thing but after missing so much years of Sophie’s life already I think Martine could’ve at least made an effort to amend the situation as time passed. Her grandmother and Tante Atie always says that all 4 women are “cut from the same cloth” because of their similarities but Martine is nowhere as close to forgiving or compassionate as her mother and sister.

Another part that stood out to me was when they mentioned that Joseph couldn’t understand why Sophie would do such a thing. I could not explain to him that it was like breaking manacles, an act of freedom. I think this was referring to much more than being tested for Sophie. It was everything her mother forced her into – from being hauled to New York, placed into that French speaking school, told she was becoming a doctor and barely being able to make eye contact with Joseph. The testing, which was like the ultimate control was the last straw for Sophie.