Breath, Eyes, Memory 9-12

While reading this portion of the book, I noticed a lot of growth and bravery in Sophie’s character. I also noticed a change in Martines character as well which I think spurred from the fact that She noticed, that Sophie was changing; which is something she feared. Sophie who was now 18 was in a relationship with a man who was the same age as her mother ( which personally to me doesnt seem that old based on today’s standards, given the fact that Martine had Sophie at a young age), Even though she was extremely afraid of letting her mother find out. After Martine found out and began running “finger” tests on her, upon hearing that her boyfriend was leaving for good she defied her mother by taking her own virginity, so she could be with him, in doing so she displayed a huge amount of bravery in choosing what she wants over what others want for her. Martine’s character also went through changes as well; despite being more of a “modern” parent, in the way that she talks to Sophie explicitly on matters concerning the world, as opposed to sophies aunt who tried to shield her from the harshness of the world by sugar coating everything, she ends up resorting to doing the same “finger tests” on her daughter that her mom did to her and her sister; this practice isn’t  something one would associate with a modern “sophisticated” person.