Justin Eubanks – Breath, Eyes, Memory Chapters 1 – 4

To begin, I would like to address Edwidge Danticat’s use of language already established in the very first pages of the text.  Her use of imagery and rhetorical devices thus far have definitely enthralled me to keep on reading, and this was just from the first four chapters!  With this being said, I found quite a few things engrossing to say the least, but the one most notable would have to be Atie’s recurrent refusal of Sophie’s Mother’s Day card.  Although we initially find out that Atie is her Aunt, and Martine is her actual mother, I still found Atie’s strong sense to incessantly refuse Sophie’s declaration of love intriguing  Especially after Sophie trying to give it to her in her time of despondency, and made it quite lucid that it was meant to express their loving relationship (despite Atie not being her biological mother). It actually leads me to believe that there is a perhaps a bigger connection to the card, and makes me ponder on why Atie is so persistent on Sophie actually giving it to its rightful owner — her actual mother.  Even when it is revealed that Martine has sent instructions for Sophie to come back to her in New York, Atie specifically places the card beside Sophie’s passport, stipulating that it be delivered to her mother.  From implications and deduction made in the text, I see this card symbolizing something much profounder than that of just a Mother’s Day gift.  Whether this plays a part resonating throughout the rest of the novel, or just within the next few upcoming chapters, I am excited to see where the novel is heading.