I, Tituba, Black Witch Of Salem Ch. 1-4

When the novel first starts Tituba describes the circumstances of her early birth & life. She talks about her mother having her at 16 because her mother being Abena was raped. When Abena arrived at Barbados from Africa her owner found out she was pregnant with Tituba. So, the owner gave Tituba’s mother to a slave named Yao. Yao took care of Tituba as if she was his own. I also found it interesting when Tituba talks about her mother (Abena) was distant towards her growing up because of the way she was conceived. Yao had to force Abena to comfort Tituba. ” Sit her on your lap. Kiss her ! Fondle her ! “. I found it hard to read that part because Tituba loved her mother regardless. Yao promised to love Tituba as his own and he gave Tituba enough love for the both of them. Relationships were important to Tituba. Later on Abena’s former owner tried to rape her and she ended up injuring him. Abena was hung and Yao killed himself by swallowing his tongue. This was hard because even though Abena found it hard to love Tituba she loved her mother and had to watch them hang her.