Justin Eubanks – I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem Chapters 10 – 1 of Pt. II

As I read closer to the end of Part I of Maryse Conde’s tale, it seems that my preceding blog post concerning relationships was indeed true.   This coincides with an interesting event that transpires in Chapter 11, when John Indian demeaningly reminds Tituba of her skin color and the fear that she and all black people put into that of all whites.  He repetitively seems to want to enforce the notion that Tituba’s skin color will only devalue her not only in society, but as a human being.  At the same time, we see religion more thoroughly conveyed here as well when Abigail and Betsey start screaming and acting out during breakfast.  When they are calmed down, Abigail acts out again in at church and in front of the whole community, although Betsey does not.  Tituba uses this opportunity to try and figure out exactly what is prompting these sporadic actions between the two when she questions Betsey, but instead is insolently turnt away, when she denounces her as a pure evil “negress.”  This sudden change in personality that occurs in Betsey between the previous chapters and now was quite intriguing to scrutinize.  In my opinion, Conde uses this specific scene to convey a very notable message underlying that of race and the malice intentions shared amongst the people Tituba meets, despite their initial bonding.  This is augmented even more so in Chapter 1 of Pt. II where Samuel, Anne, Abigail, and Betsey vilify Tituba as a witch, despite her proclaiming her innocence.