Justin Eubanks – I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem Chapters 5 – 9

As I continued to read Tituba’s story, it is becoming quite lucid how imperative the development of relationships are to her story.  As we see the contention develop between her and Susanna, it ultimately leads to her and John being sold to Samuel Parris.  We soon find out that he is a malicious man, who preaches the word of God, however follows the complete opposite, but we are more importantly introduced to his wife and daughter; who play a key role in developing Tituba as a character and further enhancing her story. On Tituba’s voyage to America we see the contrasting ideals of Elizabeth Parris’ and herself, with Parris’ personality coinciding with that of  receptiveness and credence, whereas Tituba’s is more so of sensuality and ecstasy.  Though their viewpoints are so divergent, I found it very engrossing how easily it was for them to still develop a close bond, and I attribute this mostly to Parris’ susceptibility as a human being.  This goes for her daughter Betsey as well, who like her mother, shares this same sense of susceptibility.  Now on the other hand, Tituba doesn’t share this same closeness with their niece, Abigail.  Instead of being as open and trusting as her cousin and Aunt, she has a much more domineering attitude, only trusting what Tituba actually can provide evidence for.  This sharp shift in personalities between Parris’ family distinctly stood out amidst the duration of my reading, because Conde used it augment, not detract from Tituba’s hardships (such as with witchcraft) and sense of sexual desire.  I am sure that these interactions will prove to be even more beneficial during the remaining course of the novel.