1. I, TITUBA, THE BLACK WITCH OF SALEM

The first chapter of this book already started with a vile act of rape – an act, oddly enough that seemed to be frequent enough between white masters and their slaves. Abeena, already being a victim of rape did what any woman today would’ve done in such a situation. She defended herself as he Darnell attempted to force himself upon her.

What stood out to me is the fact that I can’t remember reading about a slave physically defending themselves. The fact that she called out for the cutlass showed true strength, it also showed how seriously she was affected by being raped and never wanted to feel that way again. The strength of retaliation could’ve come from the fact that her daughter Tituba was within spectating distance or that she really couldn’t endure the embarrassment and damage of the act.

Inevitably, she was hung of course. Hung for defending herself. Her life was taken for a mere gash on the shoulder of her master. Above it all, the other slaves were summoned to the execution. Maybe to set an example. Telling them that if they ever thought they deserved “humane treatment” they too would be punished.