Mary Prince pg.41-End

Despite Mary Prince’s long service with the Wood’s family; Mr. Wood refuses bitterly to sell her to anyone else or to grant her the opportunity to be a free person.

I find it interesting when Mary was in England and is put out in the streets. She was smart enough to have made contact with a chapter of the Moravian church of which she had become a member in Antigua.

The part of Mary’s situation that stood out the most to me is how Mr. Wood fabricated stories condemning her good character. When the missionaries of England seeking her freedom, Mr. Wood would have high profile persons in Antigua write letters to paint a very negative and demeaning picture of Mary. However, one Mr. Joseph Phillips who seems to have been a high profile character and friend of Mr. Wood had himself been persecuted by Mr. Wood and his entourage (pp. 47-2, through pg. 48).

Mr. Phillips commented on Mr. Wood character while correcting the tarnish of Mary’s. Is it coincidence that Mr. Phillips would speak so kindly of Mary’s character or is he a fair humanitarian? This is my question which was answered later in the text as more abstracts (pg.50) were exposed about his character. I believe he was trying to be different from his colleagues, and true to humanity, hence, he fell on the oppose side of their power and was brought down.