Krystal Corry – The History of Mary Prince (Pages 41- End)

As I Continued to read “The History of Mary Prince, A West Indian Slave” from pages 41 to the end I began to get eager that perhaps Mary would make her way to finally becoming a free women. I though this because I didn’t want to believe that every single part of Mary life has had to been this depressingly tragic. However, my feelings easily began to change after I continued to read how possessive Mr. Woods was over Mary Prince. Yes, I understand that slavery did in fact give the slave owners a sense of power, and ownership because the ‘blacks’ were seem as property, rather than anything else. However, throughout reading the text all of the other slaves Mary has mentioned were easily tossed from slave owner, to slave owner. However for Mr. Woods he just wouldn’t let Mary go. This obsession over Mary that Mr. Woods felt truly angered me, as did much of the text of course. It seemed as if he liked Mary to keep her around, but at the end of the day she would get mistreated, mentally and physically abused? The way I felt Mr. Woods suppressed Mary was just astonishing and tragic to read about.