Indraine Ramdut – The History of Mary Prince (Pages 20-41)

In this section of readings, the one thing that stood out to me was that Mary is starting to speak up for what she deserves to be treated like. In the other section, when her father returned her to her owner (Capt. I), he told him that he should be kinder to her because he cannot bear seeing her being mistreated. However, in this section, she spoke up for herself. She told the Wood’s that she will no longer accept being “used.” She decided to choose being lost in an unknown place rather than being in home that does not value her. I can relate to Mary in a situation I’ve overcome. The place I’m currently employed at as a cashier, have recently been making me do an abundance of work that I should not be doing. For example, in every aisle there’s a person in charge of it. Whatever they do not finish, I must do. I finally decided to say “NO” for the first time when they asked me to do something I’m not obligated to do and of course I got in trouble. However, I told my manager that I never signed up for all of this and what I did sign up for is to be a cashier. Of course, he did not like it and cut my hours, but I do not care because I do not need to be used to do anyone’s left over work. Therefore both situations proves that in certain situation, you cannot let it be in silence. The only way changes are made is with you and your voice is your freedom.