EMT2455: Data Communications
Instructor: Prof. Benito Mendoza Lecture: Section OL57, Wednesday 8:30pm-11:00pm Classroom: Online (Blackboard Collaborate Ultra) Office: V620 Office Hours: Tuesday 9:00-11:00, Wednesday 9:00- 11:00, or by appointment. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 718-260-5885 Website: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/faculty/BMendoza
Departments Syllabus with ABET Student Outcomes: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/computer-engineering/docs/courses/EMT2455.pdf
Required Textbook (Courseware and Software Simulator)
- CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Cert Guide (Certification Guide). Anthony J. Sequeira. Pearson IT Certification; 1 edition (February 22, 2018). ISBN-10: 0789759810
- Data Communications and Networking, 5th Ed. Behrouz A. Forouzan McGraw-Hill. ISBN10: 007337622, ISBN13: 9780073376226, 2013.
- Computer Networks (5th Edition). Andrew S. Tanenbaum and David J. Wetherall. Prentice-Hall. ISBN10: 0132126958, ISBN-13: 978-0132126953, 2010.
- Networking Essentials: A CompTIA Network+ N10-007. Jeffrey S. Beasley, Piyasat Nilkaew. Pearson IT Certification; 5 edition (March 2, 2018). ISBN-10: 0789758741
Fundamentals of data communications and computer network protocols and standards. It provides a basic understanding of data communication systems with practical examples of communication networks applied in engineering technology. Study of OSI and TCP/IP models, data transmissions, transmission media, network topologies, network cabling system, IP address, TCP/IP suite, local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), wireless network, and network security. Students carry out experiments using modern hardware and software networking tools. In particular, this semester will focus on the content required to obtain the CompTIA’s Network+ and TestOut’s Network Pro certifications.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completing this course, the learner will be able to meet these overall objectives:
- Identify network cable and network types
- Identify common network standards
- Understand how data and signals are transmitted
- Identify wired and wireless network components
- Set up a wired or wireless network
- Manage static and IP addressing
- Manage network protocols
- Troubleshoot common network issues
The purpose of the course is to provide the student with the equivalent knowledge of an entry-level network administrator with 9-12 months of experience.
About the Certifications
The purpose of a networking certification is to validate and demonstrate that the recipient has the required networking skills and experience to manage basic network infrastructure. This course meets the specification of two industry certification programs:
- TestOut’s Network Pro certification measures students’ ability to perform real-world job skills using the Windows operating system and common networking hardware.
- CompTIA’s Network+ certification is an international vendor-neutral certification with a broad-based knowledge base. Many other vendor-specific certifications require Network+ certification (or its equivalent) as a foundation.
- Knowledge of PC hardware installation and configuration.
- Knowledge of using and administering a Windows client computer.
Online home assignments: 50%
- Quizzes: 25%
- Labs: 25%
In-class assignments, labs, and exams: 50%
- Networking Labs: 20%
- In-class quizzes: 10%
- Mid Term Exam: 10%
- Final Exam: 10%
- There will be homework assignments every class: quizzes and labs (from TestOut Network Pro).
- The student can answer the online quizzes and labs with open notes at home. Every quiz and lab must be completed the night before the next class (by Tuesday midnight). The minimum pass grade is 80. The student has as many attempts as needed to pass them; the highest grade will be the final grade.
- The homework online labs and quizzes have to be completed in order to have access to the labs and quizzes in the classroom.
- You have to pass all the quizzes and labs to have the right to take the Mid-Term and the Final Exam; the minimum passing grade for those labs and quizzes is 80%.
- If you miss a class for any reason, it is your responsibility to complete the corresponding online homework assignments.
- There is no make-up time for missing assignments. Nothing will be accepted after the due date.
- The Mid Term exam will cover modules 1 to 5 from TestOut Network Pro training material.
- The final exam will be a practice test covering all the content expected in a real Network Pro or Network+ exam.
In-class Networking Lab Assignments
The in-class laboratory work has to be completed in classroom time. No late submissions. Lab assignments are graded on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the following criteria:
|Successfully completed the lab assignment||100|
|Made a legitimate attempt to complete the lab assignment||75|
|Attended the lab but made no effort to complete the assignment||30|
|Did not attend the lab||0|
- Access to your school email account
- Access to your Blackboard account
- You need access to a computer with a high-speed Internet connection.
- Microphone and Camera, since this is an online course
Please check the list of topics on the weekly schedule at: