11 thoughts on “Project 1: Career Memo Draft

1. Abdulla Attareb

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Abdulla Attareb
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

The job divisions a Mechanical Engineer can pursue is vast. As a mechanical engineer it is possible to specialize in the aerospace, automotive, construction, and the energy industry, etc. As a senior in my last semester I had to think about which industry I feel I would best fit. I’ve chosen to seek a career in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Design. This falls into the construction industry. As a HVAC engineer I would be doing a lot of designing in autocad. This job requires advanced problem solving skills. Many calculations must be done when designing HVAC systems for buildings. There are different systems for different types of buildings. Such as, commercial, residential, hospital, and school buildings. Each type has its own unique building code that must be followed. Another reason I chose HVAC is because there are many job opportunities for this expertise specifically in New York. At first I would like to work in a small engineering firm. Working in a small firm would better benefit me when training as an entry level engineer. After gaining at least a year worth of experience I would like to move to a big international level firm. I wish to stay and work in New York City. Being an HVAC Engineer will open many doors for advancement. As you gain experience you go higher up the food chain. From entry level to junior to mid level to senior, etc. In some big firms you can make associate partner and senior partner. It is also possible to start my own firm after gathering the right connections and experience. There are many certifications and licenses that can separate you from other engineers. Obtaining a Professional Engineer (PE) license creates a huge gap between you and everyone else. Before getting a PE license I have to take and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and become a Engineer-in-Training (EIT). I plan on taking my FE exam right after graduating. Many firms prefer you have an EIT license as a entry level engineer. Engineering technology is always advancing, so there are credit classes you have to take to keep your licenses. The classes are used to keep you up to date with the latest technological advances. Following this career would allow to me to follow my own path. Everyone in my family are business owners and did not get degrees. I did not want to follow in the family business. This career will allow me to start a family and get my own place. It would allow to finally be independent. I love to travel to different countries. So far I’ve been to Canada, Yemen, Mexico, Qatar, Egypt, and the Dominican Republic. Next on my bucket list is Japan, Greece, and I also wish to do a Euro trip after graduation. So far to reinforce my resume to find a job after graduation is I did a summer internship in Albany. It was a designing and manufacturing company that specialized in HVAC system parts. In addition to that I just had an interview at a small engineering firm. The position is a CAD drafter. I would be training in drafting HVAC systems in autocad. I received an offer from the company and I hopefully after the paperwork is done I’ll start this thursday. It is another step towards pursuing my career in HVAC Design.

1. ajahneikj

TO : Professor Ellis
      FROM: Ajahneik Jackson
      DATE: February 8th, 2017
      SUBJECT: Career Memo Assignment

My major is English, Professional and Technical Writing with a specialization in business. This specific major is setting me up for being the creative director of a brand I plan to build myself. Essentially my brand will be designed to inspire those in the African American , female, male, spiritually evolving demographic. With my Professional and Technical Writing major i am able to communicate with all of my clientele properly. I am also able to conduct my blog, and understand the various kinds of audiences that will be tuning in daily, and how I should communicate with them directly.

Following graduation my brand will already have been established, being as though I am currently in the process of building it. I will have sole proprietorship of my brand until it branches out more and i am in need of employees. My role will entail online forums, live video chats, public speaking, generating platforms to speak on for various audiences, charitable work, and educating the youth on personal and social issues. If I am to work for a company while establishing my brand, personally i would like to work for Huffington Post, which is an online news aggregator and blog that not only provides individuals with world news but they also stay up to date with social trends and healthy living life styles. While working for this company I would like to relocate to California for about six months solely for the experience.

My career will enable me to be recognized in my field because not only will I blog I also intend to establish physical products that places emphasis on what exactly my brand will stand for. Personally my career will allow me to jump start my family, and establish a home for where i will be raising my children. Also it will provide me with the luxury of being able to travel when i want and need to. I will be able to give back to my community by opening small shops to sell my products, and also by investing in charities that may already exist within my community. Lastly I know that building a brand such as the one I am working on will take a lot of work, so it will cost me many late nights and that will keep me from m family at times or it will cause me to miss events but i have no doubt that they will always support me.

2. Lauren

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Lauren M. Brewster
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

As a City Tech student, I hope to by graduation be able to create mobile applications that I can put on iOS and Android platforms. My major is Computer Systems with a concentration on software development. With the skills I learn, I hope to find investors who will be interested in paying me to create my mobile app or investors interested in buying the apps I design. Creating mobile apps, along with other business ventures such as stock and real estate investments will allow me to have multiple streams of income so that I can retire from working a nine to five.

Currently I work as a Computer Support Analyst for an engineering firm. I’ve been working in the IT field for 4 years now, and although I am able to make a decent living, I do not feel like I am living my purpose. Creating mobile apps will allow me to be creative, and think about ways to improve people’s lives. I want to create various apps, from games that can be used as teaching tools, to apps that allow people to do things easier. By being a mobile app developer, I can work from anywhere, and spend my days how I want to. I also hope to be so successful that I can retire my parents, and pay for them to travel world.

3. Destiny Ramos

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Destiny Ramos
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

My major is Professional and Technical Writing and what I plan to do with it is become a freelance writer. As of now, I am a teacher but I would love to be a freelance writer within this career. I do other freelance things to bring in money but this is a career that I want to build myself on.With this career, I want to continue to do creative writing and write novels and fictional stories on topics like fantasy and some mystery as well as other things that inspire me. I was inspired to make this my passion through my love of writing as well as a woman that I follow on Tumblr who is an at home writer/editor, who gets to travel during her free time. My career will allow me to be creative in whatever way that I want to and create books and stories for all ages. I have already done one book which has not been published. It is a fingerprint book based off of my business Miskies. Hopefully, this career will allow me to make money from the comfort of my own home, surrounded by tea, books, Miskies and my future cat children. And then during my free time, catch up on some anime, cosplaying and traveling to conventions, and catch up on the stacks of video games that I have but have not played.

4. Edwin

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Edwin Alexis Arriaza
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

In the field of technology, there are many interesting options to consider as a career path. Being a student at the New York City College of Technology built excitement for me to gain experience in a technology role as a student. I got an internship as a desktop support technician at a financial risk company, Marsh & McLennan. I enjoyed the workflow and conversations that I was a part of. I was being pushed to think critically to solve issues and complete projects. I love to continue growing, learning and strive to be a Chief Information Officer (CIO) one day.

As a CIO, I expect a busy workday consisting of meetings discussing new technology, ideas and multiple ways to circumvent issues that we are currently facing. Many meetings consist of business-related decisions such as, deciding which vendors we will keep, and how it will affect the company’s budget. These conversations will only result in expanding my knowledge on technology and business. Having an immense amount of knowledge in technology and business is powerful with any goal you have. Climbing the technology org chart is relatively tough but it’s a challenge that I am committed to pursuing. A CIO receives six figures, which is financially wealthy enough for me. I would like to work in a company with a free-spirited culture because it reduces stress in the workplace and encourages collaboration with one another. A CIO will usually be in the headquarters of a company, which makes me believe I will continue to work in NY or another busy city.

Chasing after the dream to become a CIO cannot happen overnight. I will need to be the best technician I could be right now in order to build trust so I could have more responsibilities. Accomplishing tasks efficiently will lead to a promotion and I will just have to continue working my way up. I have to try my best not to get sidetracked because I could end up with a different career in technology if I don’t stay focused. I know I first have to get a bachelor’s degree in technology. I am pursuing a computer engineering degree and I am getting a chance to build a better understanding of hardware, software, and design.

I would expect my outside life as a CIO to be filled with moments of leisure with friends and family. The salary of a CIO will allow me to explore amazing locations and taste great food. I do want to donate to foundations committed to bettering our environment. I also want to educate people in technology who did not resources to get a chance to learn. Having a powerful title will only empower me to inspire as many people as I can.

5. Esmeralda V.

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Esmeralda V.
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

I am currently studying at the New York City College of Technology willing to graduate with a Computer Science degree.
    Although I am not completely sure what career I want to pursue, I am sure that this field has many possibilities that will help build a better future for upcoming generations. My ideal job will not have a schedule. I would like to work from home or at a lab -where I would work with my coworkers, as a team- avoiding an office or weekly meetings.

6. SoJung Moon

TO: Professor Ellis

FROM: SoJung Jang

DATE: March 15, 2017

SUBJECT: Career Memo

I am currently in progress of obtaining a Bachelor’s at The New York City College of Technology in Professional and Technical Writing specializing in Biology. Upon graduation, firstly, I plan on emigrating to South Korea. There are a few careers I’ve considered while living in Korea which are: teaching English at a public or after-school program, private tutoring, or possibly working for a well-known company or even as a freelance writer. However, my first choice would be teaching English, preferably at a public school.

I am hoping to get into a program called EPIK in Korea where they select eligible candidates from countries where English is a primary language and have a Bachelor’s degree in any field to teach English to children in South Korea. This program provides me with housing and health care benefits as well as a decent amount of income that would increase with experience. Speaking of income, making money is not a priority for me. I was actually working my way up to get into the dental hygiene program at City Tech when I finally realized and accepted the fact that it’s not something I had a passion for, I was just chasing after it in hopes of making a good amount of money to live comfortably. Being caught up in bad financial situations and working for years at a dental office made me think that dental hygiene may be the right career for me but I’ve always had a passion for teaching and my dream job was to become a English teacher for as long as I can remember.

I’ve learned that in Korea, English is an essential part of life. From toddlers to adults, they struggle to learn the language everyday. This is becoming a norm in Korea due to the country always striving to become more westernized and trying to adapt to western cultures. The more fluent in English you are, not only would that make you stand out during any job interview but people would judge you differently. I’m pretty sure, as I have experienced this myself while visiting Korea, people doing a double-take on you when you speak in English is something you see often. Apart from public schools, English is also taught in thousands of privately owned “hagwons” or “after-schools” which are always high in demand for teachers who meet their requirements. Knowing all this, I don’t think it would be a struggle for me to find a job once I graduate and I am hoping that my fluency in Korean will also be helpful.

When I used to daydream about my career as a dental hygienist before I switched my major, I honestly felt nothing. I was always busy calculating how much money I’d be able to make. But I felt butterflies while I was switching my major this semester and now am truly excited when I think about my future career. I am finally taking courses that actually catch my interest, and taking big steps towards my dream job. No doubt that there will be stressful days too, but I don’t think I’d ever wake up in the morning and think “ugh, I don’t want to go to work.” I can’t wait for the new adventurous experiences that awaits me and to meet new people everyday and help them take steps toward their goals and dreams, all while doing what I love. Sounds like a dream job to me!

7. Iliane Soriano

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Iliane Soriano
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

My major is Biomedical Informatics and it is helping me pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. Biomedical Informatics is a platform for me to take all my core science courses in a pre-med track. I hope to become an anesthesiologist but, my mind may change once it comes to deciding my specialty. As an anesthesiologist I could work in a doctor’s private office or a hospital. I would like to start off at a hospital to network and gain experience. Essentially I want to work in a private office where the work is less hectic but still demanding. My career will enable me to not only practice general medicine but also administer anesthesia. I would love to start my own business once I am settled.

I would also like to travel around the world and volunteer as a doctor in third-world countries. I do hope to be recognized in my field as a doctor who made a difference. I can do this by both volunteering around the world and incorporating my Biomedical Informatics studies to do genetic research. All of this is time consuming but eventually I do want to start a family. The costs there will be to me and my family would be the time that I will be spending away from them while I’m in medical school. As well as the actual cost to go to medical school.

8. ajahneikj

TO : Professor Ellis
    FROM: Ajahneik Jackson
    DATE: March 15th, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo Assignment

9. ERNSO MOISE

TO Professor Jason Ellis
    FROM Ernso Moise
    STUDENTS Career Path

My name is Ernso Moise, I am a city tech student, my major is human services and I hope to graduate in 2018 with my bachelor. In this assignment i will tell why I chose this major, but most specifically what type of job that I want to do in my life and finally what I want to accomplish as a professional and as a person in this remaining part of my life.

First I wanted to tell a little bit about my background, my first professional job experience was to work as a community organizer back in my country of origin, after that I spent some years doing African studies and some sociology classes. When I arrived in united states in 2004, I decided to continue with my studies, I went in city college and after that I transferred to city tech and started with my major.

I chose human services because I always want to work with people especially people in small communities. I am from Haiti and everyone knows how poor is my country, I hope to participate in the rebuilding of my homeland, this is exactly why I chose to be a human services major.

After my BA, I don’t know if I will go for the master’s degree, but one thing is sure I won’t stop until I get my bachelor. I am close very to finish, now I just want to make sure that I get all the classes that are really important, and as a matter of facts, this English class is important to me.

10. Danny Hsu (Chia Hao)

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Chia Hao Hsu
    DATE: March 15, 2017
    SUBJECT: Career Memo

The major that I am currently studying to pursue is mechanical engineering. The choice of pursuing a mechanical engineering degree wasn’t always my first choice though and originally I wanted to study to become an architect. I spent two years at an accredited school for architecture where I learned about the theoretically approach to design for architecture. Even though I ultimately decided that being an architect wasn’t what I imaged it to be, nor something I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I did however learned that I have a gift for technical design and the ability to create solutions through design process. Not wanting to waste the time I’ve spend and knowledge which I’ve learned in architecture school, I choose to switch to mechanical engineering which I thought was a better fit for me. Through mechanical engineering, I hope it could prepare me for a career in the field of robotics or machine design where we can create a better future through simple or complex technology, designed to enrich the activities in our daily life.

Personally, I don’t really think I need or want a very high job title like being the CEO of a company. I know where my strengths are, and leadership is not exactly one of them but I would make a great supporting role and give counsel to others. If I have to choose, I would rather be a lead engineer of a team of people inside a company in the technology sector with the authority and ability to design whatever I want base on my interest and lead other people that is in the same field and interest. I have noticed that my background in the field of art has made me very proficient in design and problem solving and rather than being at the top and telling people what to do, I’d rather everyone work together to achieve a common goal.

Ideally, I would like to work in a open space office environment but not constraint to desk and chairs. It doesn’t matter if it is located inside a large city or in the suburbs as long as there are things that could occupy my time productively. It would be an amazing opportunity if I can work at Google as they have acquired a robotics company in 2013.

Ultimately a successful career in the field of mechanical engineering would not just give my life meaning and purpose, it would allow me the possibility of shaping our future and how people interact with the world. If I designed something amazing and be recognized in the process, that would just be icing on a cake.

Hopefully with this career, it would afford me financial stability and possibility some extra time to travel the world and start a family of my own. Maybe even help nurture younger generations like myself.