my professional essay

I am Edward Fernandez and I was born in New York City. From the Dominican Republic. For the most part of my life I have lived in the Bronx. I recently graduated from Bronx Community College , where I obtain my associates in psychology. I currently attend  New York City Tech of Technology where I am persuing a bachelor in human services. My original persuit was nursing but it proved challenging I was afraid, I wouldn’t make in the program, so then I thought to myself, with human services I would help people that need help and still be in the medical field where I could work in a mental illness facility.

The reason why I chose to become a human service worker aside from wanting to help others, is knowing how to work with others knowing that your building skills working with diverse people, also work in groups or have a group counseling. I chose this profession because this would provide interaction, with people while having no fear. As human service major I would expect to learn more about the field and hopefully it will be a good professional career path. To be honest am not familiar about human service. My major at Bronx Community College was psychology. By the end of this semester I have to learn more about the profession within the human service field.

My personal and professional strengths that will enhance my effectiveness within the professional practice are that I am friendly, work hard at what I do, and also I like to help out when somebody needs it. Like if they having problem with family, financial issues, relationship problems. I would help since it is work and working groups, like take a group of people and give them counseling. I am a happy, and delightful. I also like to give advice when the person needs me. Overview family influences have been very strong and have educated, I have three sisters and two brothers, all my sisters have graduated with bachelors, one of them got her bachelors in speech pathology, another of my sisters is a first grade teacher within a private school, third sister received her degree within hospitality management. One of my brothers also accomplished his bachelor in recreational therapy. My mother was single parent she raised us well and raised us by in which she disciplined us to get an education.

The community in which I live is not as peaceful and not quiet need to work hard to get out of it. Even though my community is really dangerous have tried to stay positive, go to school, and be polite to my neighbors including the people in my community. In my community the population is more African American then Hispanic. For employment right now I’m a maintance worker for Bloomingdales it is not the best job, but when I do work I’m gaining experience of working with other people. This could not relate to human service but I would learn more about human services in the courses I would take to get my bachelor. When I was younger use to help the elderly with their groceries since it was too much for them to carry.

I would like to work with teenagers from seventeen to twenty, being that this is the age where finding the most problem I would hope to learn what is triggering teenagers to get influence to be bad, getting in trouble, having family problems. For example they are dropping out of school at an early age. Also I would see how I could help them stop using drugs, stay away from gangs, and the use of weapons like guns, bats, and box cutters. I am interested adolescents teenagers because today Communities filled with gangs, shootings, and drugs it is good to help them out before it becomes to late.

The skills that I need to learn to work with this age group are counseling and making sure they are place in good after school activities while in the summer, especially camps, and making sure while they interact in group activities well I have begun to acquire human service skills this is my first semester within the major. But by the end of college hope I learn more and see what I could research and what I need to work with these kinds of adolescents.

I envision my career path from the time I graduate to ten years from then as a professional human service worker. But I would mostly hope to employ my human service degree within the medical  field while working with adolescents. Ten years from now I want my career path to be successful and fulfilling a popular clientele with healthy lifestyle, and make sure they are getting what they seek from my help.

In conclusion as far as what I know about human services, and me is a helpful skill career being that type is the type of person. That if someone falls pick them up and make sure you are up and not to fail. Also I would like human service be helpful to find a career.