Advocacy Report

Advocacy Activity Report    

Nurses House is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to helping nurses in need of care. I was very pleased to learn that there are people out there who are lending a hand to the nursing community. The organization started in 1922 and has provided financial help to countless nurses dealing with illness, disability or injuries since. The nurses they provide for are between 20 and 80 years of age. According to their website, they provided over $261,000 in assistance to nurses in need in 2016. The organization relies on donations to meet their goals.

After reading up on what they do and stand for, I thought it might be a good idea to help Nurses House raise money to help my fellow nurses. They organize many fundraising events throughout the year; however, I have not attended any, but I’m planning on doing so in the near future. Despite not being able to attend any events, I was able to participate and help the cause by creating a fundraising page and making a small donation of my own. After creating my fundraising page, I got in contact with a few of my colleagues and friends, and to encourage them to donate as well. And though my attempts at raising money to help my fellow nurses have not been particularly fruitful, I will continue in my efforts to help. With that in mind, I will do my best to volunteer during their upcoming events, and continue my attempts at raising money for the organization.

As a nurse, I learned to always advocate for my patients; to protect them, care for them and stand up for them to the best of my abilities. But, unless a fellow nurse was my patient, I wouldn’t think of doing the same of him/her. In fact, the though that a nurses need help never crossed my mind. I was very happy to learn about Nurses House and what they do; it really gave me a new perspective; it is not only our patients who need advocating for, but also anybody who is in need. There are many nurses out there who require our support.