blog post 17- museum assignment

During my spring break, I had the delightful opportunity to visit the Cooper Hewitt Museum, where I immersed myself in two captivating exhibits. Among them was “AN ATLAS OF ES DEVLIN,” a showcase highlighting the extraordinary artistry of Es Devlin. Renowned as both an artist and stage designer, Devlin has lent her creative vision to a multitude of iconic projects, including collaborations with acclaimed musicians, the NFL, the World Expo, and more.

The first artwork i will be talking about is called Archived Unboxed where it’s a pile of old artwork by the artists. These works were created when Devlin was a student artist before she became who she is now. This artwork was created using pastels and it depicts a human face partially covered by musical instruments. The instruments seem to emerge from the person’s hair, suggesting a deep connection between the individual and music. It used a variety of colors such as greens, yellows, blues and reds for vibrancy. The textures in the artwork are well-rendered, with the curly hair, smooth surfaces of the instruments, and the varied textures of the skin and background contributing to a rich visual experience. The piece is a detailed representational drawing, focusing on realistic depictions of both the human face and the musical instruments. The composition is intricate and layered, with the central focus on the face and instruments. The diagonal lines of the piano keys and the vertical positioning of the instruments draw the viewer’s eye across the piece.  I chose this artwork because it combines my love for music and visual art.

The second artwork by the artist:

This was made by using a translucent LED and was used in U2’s “For U2’s Innocence + Experience” Tour. This model represents the visual element of U2’s “Innocence + Experience” arena tour. The installation used a transparent LED block to create a dynamic visual experience, dividing and unifying the crowd with animated sequences. The primary color of the model is a striking neon green, which dominates the visual field and creates a futuristic, almost ethereal glow. The color choice likely enhances the immersive and engaging atmosphere intended for the live audience. The artwork is an abstract model designed to illustrate a larger installation piece. It conveys the conceptual and technical aspects of the stage design used in a concert setting. I selected this piece because of its innovative use of materials and its connection to a live performance setting. The model effectively communicates the conceptual vision behind a large-scale, immersive concert experience. My response is one of admiration for the technical ingenuity and creative vision that went into the design. The use of light and color to transform a performance space is both fascinating and inspiring, demonstrating how visual art can enhance and transform a musical experience.

The final art is called “Sculpture. Songs For Sorrow” and it is made from printed paper and fiberboard. The sculpture is predominantly monochromatic, using shades of black, white, and grey. The lack of color emphasizes the intricate details and depth created by the layered paper. This is a representational sculpture, with a strong focus on detailed cut paper elements. The representational nature is evident in the recognizable human figure and the clockwork-like components. The piece has a rich texture due to the multiple layers of cut paper. The interplay of shadows and light across the different layers adds to the quality, inviting viewers to explore the depths of the sculpture. The circular composition is balanced and draws the eye towards the central figure. The surrounding elements create a sense of motion and complexity, leading the viewer to explore the details. selected this piece for its intricate craftsmanship and the unique use of cut paper to create depth and dimension. The monochromatic palette allows the viewer to focus on the details and the interplay between the layers. My response is one of admiration for the complex work involved and the thoughtful integration of elements that complement the music album it was designed for. The sculpture’s ability to convey emotion and complexity through such a delicate medium is both impressive and moving.