ENG 3771 Blog

Blog Response #1

What is Performance Based Hiring?

Performance- based hiring is a business process used worldwide by companies and third-party firms to hire top talent. There must be a clear definition of the performance required for success. Emphasis is placed on attracting, assessing and hiring top people who have comparable accomplishments.
This hiring method also highlights the importance of properly trained hiring managers and recruiters working together as partners. It is broken up into a time phased hiring and decision making process which includes before day 1, day 1, year 1 and beyond year 1. Year 1 and beyond is key for all parties concerned; compensation is not the main priority, rather more weight is put on career opportunity and the impact a candidate can make on the job.

How do you see constructing your professional identity in a performance-based manner as helpful to your career prospects?  

In my opinion, constructing my professional identity in a performance based manner would be extremely helpful to my career prospects. It would make the interviewing process more effective and the job secured would probably be a better fit for me. Thinking of Year 1 and beyond, I wouldn’t be blinded by the short term features of the job e.g. location. Instead, I would balance the short and long term aspects. My focus would be if the job is a wise career move and the impact I could make, not the money I could make.
I get nervous at the beginning of most of my interviews and then start to relax as the interview goes on. Assuming this professional identity teaches me to know my resume well, it ensures that I practice and prepare. Since job descriptions are replaced with performance profiles, I would need to carefully analyze my work history. I would provide detailed and specific examples of actual accomplishments. Being fully prepared would also help build my confidence.
The performance-based hiring would not just help me as a candidate but it would also help the hiring manager. It helps them to make a correct assessment. This technique teaches hiring managers to wait 30 minutes before judging a candidate in an interview. Thus, if I do get nervous in the beginning of the interview it would not hurt my chances of getting the job.