Coughlin’s timekeeping post!

Here is how I spent my time on Tuesday, March 14, 2022, from 12pm-4pm: 

Preliminary review of emails received since Friday afternoon: delete unnecessary items, respond to simple items, flag items for follow-up, etc. — 0.5

Conference call with B. Wesson and D. Lee of consulting group Voluble Insights re: potential CLE program — 0.5

Email with various students re advisement issues (qualifications for graduation; discrepancies in transcript; etc.) — 0.5

Email with various students to schedule advisement appointments — 0.5

Review emails re: schedule for selecting Valedictorian and Salutatorian for graduating class; record dates in calendar; email coordinator re: schedule conflict — 0.25

Phone call with Prof. V. Chevalier of Medgar Evers College re: follow-up to University Faculty Senate cabinet meeting on March 7, 2023 — 0.25

Preliminary review of LAW 2410 final essay submissions; email students to confirm receipt —  0.5

Confer with Peconic Bay Physical Therapy re: my mother’s upcoming appointments and necessary paperwork — 0.25

Prepare timekeeping assignment for LAW 1101 class — 0.75

Miscellaneous administrative and personal tasks, such as cleaning up desk, retrieve photocopies, prepare coffee, etc. — 0.25

My reaction: I was surprised at how long I spent reading and responding to emails!  It doesn’t seem like much time while I’m doing it, but when I actually kept track of it, I realized I spent a LONG time doing it (about 2 hours!).  I was also surprised at  how many different things I did in those four hours.  Again, it doesn’t seem like much, until I listed everything out.  This activity reminded me of my law firm days, when I used to have to keep track of all of my work time.  It took me a little while to get back in the habit of checking the time when I started and completed each activity, so I could record it accurately.    It also reminded me how much I didn’t enjoy doing that when I was at the firm!

2 thoughts on “Coughlin’s timekeeping post!

1. Timekeeping

How I spent my time on Saturday, March 18, 2023; from 1pm-5-pm

Left my house for movie showings with my friends, was on board the G and A train for Regal Theater-0.15

Got off the train, walked to the theater, verified my ticket purchase with the theater staffing -0.15

While awaiting my friends arrival: (roamed around the theater i.e, took a glance at the concession stands, admired the view of the nearby buildings from one of the windows, received messages from my friends about their whereabouts) -0.15

My friends arrived, we met up and headed for the auditorium for our movie -0.15

Engaged in conversation with my comrades, browsed through my phone until the movie began -0.15

The movie came on (CREED III) -1.50

The movie ended, exited that auditorium to get the next one, grabbed refreshments on the way -0.15

Got to our seats, talked even more since we were seated way ahead of the next movie’s start time -0.30

“Scream” commenced -1.75

Conclusion of the movie, hereafter was a trip to iHop to end the day -0.30

Keeping track of my time has been a fun exercise. Albeit my first time doing it. I’ve never envisioned myself logging my time spent over a particular stretch of the day in such detailed fashion. It wasn’t a surprise how much time I allotted for task(s) like walking to the train station and the commuting time. Simply, because those times are already mapped out for you upon the start of your commute. However, seeing how much time added up for me whilst in the moving theater solely off of just waiting t was a head turner for me. Four(4) hours is really a sixth of the entire day so carrying out this experiment (if you will) made me find an even higher respect for time.