Law Office

The office I have chosen for my assignment is the legal department of Universal Music Group. The New York office is located at 1755 Broadway # 6, New York, NY 10019. UMG is a “music-based entertainment” company with offices around the world. It includes the record labels Republic Records, Island Records, Def Jam, and even a publishing sector called Universal Music Publishing Group. According to the reading, the company would be considered a corporation. The department within the company I would like to work in is the Business and Legal Affairs Department as a paralegal/legal assistant. The department deals with any legal aspects or issues from all the different labels and sections within the umbrella company UMG.

I actually found a listing for the position I would like to start out in online! It was for the Santa Monica office but I believe the tasks would be the same if not similar for the New York office. Tasks included reviewing contracts, researching claims, assisting in responding to items including discovery requests and subpoenas, maintaining filing systems, preparing documents, and more.