Assignments!

DAILY ASSIGNMENTS: (major/longer-term assignments like the extra credit Legal News Responses and “Law in Culture” Review assignment are way down below)

DUE TH. DEC. 9 at the start of class: (1) For 1103 Civ Pro, study for quiz #4!  We’ll take it at the BEGINNING of class, about 10:15am!  (2) For both subjects, review for the final exams, in prep for a review activity in class!  Also, by the end of the day (or Fri. Dec. 10), for 1101 Intro, please (1) email your final demand letter to me; (2) post Law in Culture assignment here on OL (5% of course grade), and (3) post your “court observation” assignment here on OL: write a post of about one paragraph/100-200 words or more, reflecting on your experience observing the Appellate Division oral arguments on Tue. Nov. 23, maybe what you found interesting, or surprising; or what would you like to understand better; or how did the experience affect your views of the legal practice, or your career goals; or anything else!   Choose “court observation!” as the category; 5% of course grade.

TU. DEC. 14: BOTH final exams!  Starting 10am!

TH. DEC. 16: Course wrap-up!  In Namm 622.

PAST ASSIGNMENTS:

DUE TU. AUG. 31: (1) Read the whole syllabus!  Bring questions to class.  (2) Make sure you have access to Blackboard!  (3)  Make sure your City Tech email account works! (4) For 1101 Intro: Read M&M (textbook) ch. 1 excerpts (on BB). (5) For 1103 Civ Pro: Read C&W Introduction & ch. 1 excerpts (on BB).

DUE TH. SEPT. 2: (1) For 1103 Civ Pro, read these excerpts from C&W ch. 3 (Jurisdictional Bases).  (2) Join our course OpenLab site!  (Apparently you’ve already done that.  Great job! 🙂 ) (3) Send me an email (kcoughlin@citytech.cuny.edu) from your City Tech address with (a) your home (street) address, phone number, and email address you check frequently (gmail or other personal account is fine), if you feel comfortable, (b) some times between Thurs. Sept. 9 and Thurs. Sept 16 when you’re available to meet with me in person or on Zoom for about 1/2 hour, and (c) any ideas of places you’d like to visit as a class?  Be creative!

DUE TH. SEPT. 9: (1) For 1101, read M&M ch. 2, pp. 20-30 (on BB).  (2) For 1103, re-read C&W ch. 3 (Jurisdictional Bases) and read ch. 4 (Parties and their Claims) (on BB).  (3) Write a post here on OpenLab: “Who I am!”  A paragraph or two describing (a) why you are in the Law and Paralegal Studies program (such as goals, interests, plans, etc.), and (b) something(s) else about you, as a person, that you want us all to know!  Anything at all!  Here are instructions on how to post.  Category is “Who I am.”  (4) If you didn’t already, send me an email (kcoughlin@citytech.cuny.edu) from your City Tech address with (a) your home (street) address, phone number, and email address you check frequently (gmail or other personal account is fine), if you feel comfortable, (b) some times between Thurs. Sept. 9 and Thurs. Sept 16 when you’re available to meet with me in person or on Zoom for about 1/2 hour, and (c) any ideas of places you’d like to visit as a class?  Be creative!

DUE TU. SEPT. 14 — WE WILL NOT MEET FOR CLASS!!  But you still have work to do. 🙂  (1) Post a short reply to someone’s “Who I Am” post!!  Preferably someone who has not yet received a reply. Here are instructions.  (If you didn’t write your own “Who I Am” post, please do that too!!  See details below.)  (2) STUDY for 1103 Civ Pro quiz #1!  C&W chs. 1, 3 and 4.  You’ll take it on Blackboard Tues. Sept. 14, anytime between 10am-5pm!   For 1101, read M&M ch. 2, pp. 20-30 (on BB).  (3) If you didn’t already, send me an email (kcoughlin@citytech.cuny.edu) from your City Tech address with (a) your home (street) address, phone number, and email address you check frequently (gmail or other personal account is fine), if you feel comfortable, (b) some times between Thurs. Sept. 9 and Thurs. Sept 16 when you’re available to meet with me in person or on Zoom for about 1/2 hour, and (c) any ideas of places you’d like to visit as a class?  Be creative!

WED. SEPT. 15-TH. SEPT. 16:  NO CLASSES!! in the whole college! Observance of Yom Kippur.

DUE TU. SEPT. 21:  For 1101, read “Law in Culture” Review assignment that we’ll discuss in class!  For both subjects, (1) read  “NYS Courts: Introductory Guide” and (2) check out the “Court System Materials” (maps & charts) posted under “Class notes & materials”!

FOR TH. SEPT. 23: Meet at New Academic Building entrance at 10am SHARP for walking tour of courts!  ALSO: (1) For 1101, complete quiz #1 on Blackboard by end of day!  It covers paralegal roles & skills; where paralegals work (M&M chs. 1, 2); and some introductory information on the courts.  It will be available by 10am Wednesday Sept. 23. (2) For both subjects, read (a) C&W ch. 2 (NOW on BB!), (b) “NYS Courts: Introductory Guide” from NYS Courts website, (c) M&M ch. 6 pp. 145-157 (on BB), and (d) “About Federal Courts: Court Role & Structure” from US Courts website. (3) Please also review the “Court System Materials” (maps & charts) posted here on OL under “Class notes & materials”!

FOR TU. SEPT. 28: For both subjects, (a) review C&W ch. 2 (on BB) and “NYS Courts: Introductory Guide” from NYS Courts website, and (b) for both subjects, please read M&M ch. 6 pp. 145-157 (on BB) and “About Federal Courts: Court Role & Structure” from US Courts website, and review the “Court System Materials” (maps & charts) posted here on OL under “Class notes & materials”!

FOR TH. SEPT. 30: Meet at New Academic Building entrance at 10am SHARP OR monument across from Second Circuit Court of Appeals for walking tour of Manhattan courts!  ALSO: (1) For 1101, post your “Law in Culture Review” source on OL by end of day!  See my sample on home page here.

FOR TU. OCT. 5:  (1) For 1101, please (a) read M&M ch. 2 pp. 38-43 (on BB–resumes & cover letters) and (b) find a law office where you’d like to work online and post about it here on OL! Here’s the assignment. (2) For 1103: (a) bring CPLR!! See “ASAP” below for options, and (b) read C&W ch. 5 (on BB–causes of action & remedies).

FOR TH. OCT 7: (1) For 1101, first draft resumes due by email 8am–see resume & cover letter assignment for details.  For guidance, please review M&M ch. 2 pp. 38-43 (with samples), and samples linked in “class notes & materials” tab, under Tue. Oct. 5.  (2) For 1103, read C&W ch. 4 pp. 39-40A (on BB–counterclaims, cross-claims, joinder & consolidation) and CPLR §§ 601 & 602, and read C&W ch. 10 pp. 88-88A (on BB) and CPLR § 302 (all on Long Arm Statute).  Bring CPLR!

FOR TU. OCT. 12–WE WILL NOT MEET!  Neither in class nor on Zoom!  To be considered “present” for Tuesday’s classes, please (1) complete LAW 1101 quiz #2, available on Blackboard for you to complete during any one-hour period until 11:59pm Tuesday, covering everything since quiz #2, particularly court systems (M&M ch. 6) and career opportunities/resumes & cover letters (M&M ch. 2); and (2) please read M&M ch. 2 pp. 38-43 including the sample cover letter, plus the sample cover letters posted in the “class notes & materials” tab under Tue. Oct. 5, and prepare a draft cover letter to be submitted to my email before 8am Th. Oct. 14, as explained in the resume & cover letter assignment.

FOR TH. OCT. 14–WE WILL MEET IN CLASS!!  🙂   (1) For 1101 Intro, by 8am please email me your first draft cover letters to swap and review in class!  For details and guidance, please see the resume & cover letter assignment, M&M ch. 2 pp. 38-43, and the examples in the “class notes & materials” tab under Tue. Oct. 5 & Th. Oct 7 (including resumes of your classmates and peer mentor Oliver!), plus these additional sample cover letters: Carlos Candidate, Yolanda Suarez, Diana Prince, Omari Abdussalaam.  (2) For 1103 Civ Pro, please study for quiz #2 which you will take in class, and will cover everything since quiz #1, particularly court systems (C&W ch. 2), parties and claims (ch. 4) and causes of action and remedies (ch. 5).  (2) For both subjects, please review for the midterm exams, including all notes, materials, quizzes etc., and email me or bring to class any questions or topics you’d like to review!

FRI. OCT. 15 (to get them out of the way so you can study for midterm exams) OR MON. OCT 18 (if necessary): We will not meet, but by the end of the day, please email me your FINAL resume and cover letter, to be graded according to the rubrics in the resume & cover letter assignment!!  See guidance and samples in M&M ch. 2 pp. 38-43 and “Class notes & materials” tab under Th. Oct. 7 and Th. Oct. 14 classes!

TU. OCT. 19 (1101 Intro) & TH. OCT. 21 (1103 Civ Pro): MIDTERM EXAMS!!  Bring your copies of the court system maps and charts to reference during the exams (linked under “Class notes & materials), and a writing instrument!  You will NOT need your CPLR for these exams.  Here are some study suggestions!

FOR TU. OCT. 26 — GUEST SPEAKER WEEK PART I!!: (1) For 1103, please bring your CPLR!  Please also read C&W ch. 4 pp. 39-40A (on BB) and CPLR §§ 601 & 602 (about counterclaims, cross-claims, joinder & consolidation),and C&W ch. 10 pp. 88-88A (on BB) and CPLR § 302 (about Long Arm Statute).  (2)  In prep for our first session of “Guest Speaker Week,” please post at least one question for our visitors, both graduates of our program: Tiara Yelverton, now a paralegal at NYC Transit Authority, and Kyle Stevenson, a third-year student (“3L”) at Pace University Law School!

FOR TH. OCT. 26 — GUEST SPEAKER WEEK PART II!!: (1) For 1103, please bring your CPLR again, and please (a) read/review C&W ch. 10 pp. 88-88A (on BB) and CPLR § 302 (about Long Arm Statute), and (b) please read C&W ch. 8 (Commencing the Action, on BB), especially the sections titled “Terms Used,” “How to Commence the Action,” “Electronic Filing,” then from “More is Needed” through the end.  (2)  In prep for our second session of “Guest Speaker Week,” please read and reply to my post “Questions for …” with at least one question for our visitor, Tevin Williams!

FOR TU. NOV. 2!!  (1) For 1101, please read M&M ch. 3 excerpts on BB! (Workings of a Law Office) (2) For 1103, please read (or review) C&W ch. 8 excerpts (Commencing the Action, on BB), especially the sections “Terms Used,” “How to Commence the Action,” “Electronic Filing,” and from “More is Needed” through the end; please also read chs. 12 & 14 excerpts (Summons, and Pleadings); and please review these three documents: Pepsico summons & complaint, Konig summons with notice, Pepsico answer.  Do your best to understand them!  Please also bring your CPLR!

DUE TH. NOV. 4!!  (1) For 1101, please (a) complete the Timekeeping assignment and post your timekeeping record here on OL by 8am Thursday–check out my sample post!  Please also (b) read M&M ch. 5 excerpts (on BB, Sources of Law)!  (2) For 1103, please review everything we’ve covered since the midterm exam in prep for quiz #3, and please bring your CPLR!

DUE TU. NOV. 9!!  YES bring pocket Constitution!!  NO need to bring CPLR!!  Also: (1) For 1101, please read excerpts from M&M chs. 7-8 on OL (Legal Research).  (2) For 1103, please read C&W ch. 11 excerpts (Prep, Service & Filing of Papers) and choose ONE question that no one else has chosen at the end of the chapter (pp. 98C-98D) and answer it as a “reply” to my post titled “Answer chapter 11 questions HERE!”  Please be sure to follow all instructions in that post!

DUE TH. NOV. 11:  (1) Study for 1101 Intro quiz #3!  Everything since the midterm exam (M&M chs. 3, 5, 7– Workings of a Law Office; Sources of Law; Legal Research & Analysis).  (2) Also for 1101, read M&M ch. 4 pp. 85-99! (Ethics, on BB)  (3) Complete “First Assignment” described in Summons & Complaint assignment!   Please answer all questions in complete sentences, with explanations as requested or appropriate.  Responses due by email to me by 8am Thursday Nov. 11!  (4) Review advisement & registration info posted in “Class notes & materials” tab, in prep for discussion with Oliver!

DUE TU. NOV. 16: (1) For 1101 Intro, please read M&M ch. 4 pp. 100-118 (Ethics, on BB).  (2)  For 1103 Civ Pro, please read C&W ch. 9 (Venue, on BB).  (3) Also for 1103 Civ Pro, please answer the following questions in complete sentences, with explanations as requested or appropriate, and email your responses to me by 8am Tuesday! (a) In what New York trial court(s), such as Supreme, Family, Civil, or Surrogate’s, should Mr. Proprietor’s case be commenced? Explain why.  (Hint: You may want to review C&W chs. 2 & 3 and/or our notes on the NYS Court systems to answer this question!)  (b) Locate and read CPLR § 503.  What county do you think is the proper place of trial (venue) for this case?  (Hint #1: Recall that this case involves a consumer credit transactionHint #2: Read § 503 all the way to the end!) (c) Review C&W Appendix B, “Civil Practice Forms,” posted on Blackboard, in “Summons & Complaint assignment resources” folder!  Name three (3) specific forms you think you should follow in this case: one (1) summons, one (1) complaint, and one (1) more, that I’ll leave to you to figure out!  (Hint: You answered questions about this document for Thursday, Nov. 11!)  Identify the forms by letters and titles—for example, “Form A, Summons Served With Complaint” (though that is not one you should select!)  Also, briefly state why you have chosen each one. (**Hint #1!  The underlined terms in the “Facts” section of the assignment memo will help you figure out which forms to use! Hint #2!  Once you find a form that seems appropriate, don’t stop looking!  There are several versions of each form (summons, complaint, etc.)—keep looking until you are confident you found the form that best fits this specific situation!  Hint #3!  You won’t have to look for long—all of the “best” forms for this case appear before p. B-20 of the Appendix!

DUE TH. NOV. 18:  (1) For 1101, (a) read Sussman v. Grado case and post a short “reply” to my post about it on the home page, with your response to it! and (b) read M&M ch. 9, pp. 242-250 (Legal Writing, on BB).  (2) For 1103 Civ Pro, (a) prepare a first draft summons for Mr. Proprietor’s case!  Follow the summons form you selected, use the information you have obtained by answering the homework questions and in class so far, be sure to include all information required by CPLR 305, and aim to meet all requirements in the grading rubric!  Email it to me as an attached Word document (not a link!) by 8am Thursday, Nov. 18.  I may share it anonymously with the class! (b) Review C&W ch. 14’s section on Complaints and read CPLR §§ 3013, 3014, 3016(f) & 3017(a)!

DUE TU. NOV. 23: (1) For 1103 Civ Pro, please email me a revised version of your summons (edited based on our work in class today) and a first draft verified complaint for Mr. Proprietor’s case!  For the complaint and verification, follow the forms we selected, use the information you have obtained from the homework questions and  class discussions, and feel free to use the “fillable” templates I’ve posted on Blackboard! (in “Content,” “Summons & complaint assignment resources” folder) Please also aim to meet all requirements in the grading rubric.  Please email those documents to me by 8am Tuesday as attached Word documents (not links!).  In your email, please also identify three time slots, in order of preference, between Monday and Thursday, November 29-December 2, when you are available to meet with me in person or on Zoom to discuss your draft summons and verified complaint.  (We will not meet for class on Tuesday, November 30 but I am available to meet that day after 12:30pm.) (c) Please email me stating your preference for taking our final exams: (1) LAW 1101 on Tues. Dec. 14, and LAW 1103 on Th. Dec. 16, as originally planned (as we took the midterm exams), OR (2) both exams on Thursday, Dec. 16 (our last class), OR (3) both exams on Tues. Dec. 14 (and we will meet for some kind of “wrap-up” or other activity on Dec. 16), OR (4) something else!  The exams will be taken in-person.

TU. NOV. 30:  NO class for us! Individual meetings about summons & complaint assignment this week instead!

DUE TH. DEC. 2: (1) For 1101 Intro, please read all of M&M ch. 9 (Legal Writing)!  (2) For 1103 Civ Pro, please read C&W ch. 6 (Statute of Limitations)! 

DUE TU. DEC. 7: (1) For 1101 Intro, please email first draft demand letter to me by 8am (see “class notes & materials” page for helpful samples from my prior students!), and study for quiz #4!  (2) For 1103 Civ Pro, please bring your final summons & complaint on paper to submit in class, and do some legal “arts & crafts”!

LONGER-TERM / MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS:

Legal News Response!  Optional extra credit opportunity!  Due anytime during the semester!

Law in Culture Review!  Post identifying cultural source due Sept. 30; review of the source due Dec. 9!

Where you can get a copy of the CPLR:  

• Civil Practice Law and Rules of the State of New York Plus Comprehensive Appendix of Related Statute (Looseleaf Law Publications, Inc., ISBN# 9780930137120): $59.95 at the City Tech Bookstore or the publisher’s website.:
  • Consolidated Laws of New York Civil Practice Law & Rules 2021 Edition by Jason Lee (ed.) (New York Government independent publisher, ISBN #979-8712577750), about $30 at alibris.com, about $35 at amazon.com. (I have not seen a paper copy of this one but it looks like it will do the trick.)
  • New York State Civil Practice Law and Rules 2019 Edition by Evgenia Naumchenko (ed.) (New York Legislature independent publisher, ISBN # 9781097208609), available for $15-30 at alibris.com and sandmanbooks.com. (NOT ideal, because it is not totally current, but it’s only two years old, so if necessary, it should be OK.)
  • If you can get a current paper copy of the CPLR from another source, like a friend or library, let me know and we’ll see if it can work.  Finally, if purchasing a book creates significant financial hardship, talk to me and we’ll figure something out.