Personal Statement of Beliefs/Philosophy about Nursing

My philosophy is one which I will stand by for the duration of my nursing profession. This philosophy is based on providing competent, empathetic, compassionate and optimal holistic care to the best of my ability. This philosophy stems from the values and beliefs instilled in me during my early childhood. These values and beliefs are accompanied by trustworthiness, respect, compassion, and that is what drove me to this profession and is currently driving me as I continue to provide care to my patients, family and the community.

It is my belief that in order to keep in stride with what my philosophy is education will have to play a very significant role. Continued education about issues related to patient care is very important. Through extensive research a wealth of information is found, this information can be transposed to the knowledge I already have, can greatly enhance my skills, therefore allowing me to be better able to provide optimal quality care.

I believe that the cultural beliefs, ethnic background and sexual orientation of patients and families should be respected and I am confident in my ability to continue my profession without showing any form of discrimination. I vow to uphold the ethical codes of the American Nurses Association and Joint Commission Standards by providing safe care, privacy and confidentiality and protecting the patient’s rights. I strive to be an educator, an advocate and a promoter of disease awareness, good health practices, and a supporter of strong family values within the community and the world. I believe that nursing is more than just a career, it is a privilege taken upon by persons who are passionate about using their knowledge and skills to help those who are unable to help themselves.