About Me

My name is Carolina Henriquez and I am 20 years old. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York but my parents are from Dominican Republic. I have a sister, Veronica who is my best friend. Growing up, my mother always found a way to provide for us, everything we needed and wanted we had. I get my inspiration from my mother and my sister because they are the two strongest women I know. I’m so grateful to have these women in my life and would be lost without them. I’m lucky enough to have a family that is so supportive of whatever I do.

I am a student at New York City College of Technology and this is my third year. My major is Communication Design and I would like to go in the direction of Graphic Design. Figuring out my major was definitely one of the hardest choices I’ve ever made because this was my first major decision for myself so it was intimidating. I didn’t know what I loved, what I could picture myself doing as a career, or what I was even good at. Going into college my major was originally Communication Design but when I went to orientation I wasn’t sure if I would stick with it. Regardless, I tried it out and took Graphic Design Principles 1 and really enjoyed myself. I had the pleasure of having Professor Desiree Alvarez and she really opened my eyes to this art world that I wasn’t sure about. I always loved art classes in the past but I never thought of it as something I could do as a job. I love drawing, I find it very relaxing but being able to create on programs such as InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop was very new to me.

Graphic Design is interesting to me and I would really love to be part of that world. I’m still figuring out my plans for the future after college but I think I would like to go into creating websites for fashion or beauty companies. Beauty and fashion are another interest of mine and being able to combine that and art would be really fun. I’ve also been thinking about creating graphics for book covers because that would be another combination of worlds that I would really enjoy. The options are endless and with this degree I could work with so many different fields and that’s really exciting to me.