Introduction

Hello everyone!! My name is Carolina Fritman Ortiz, I am a dental hygiene student at New York City College of Technology. Here I would like to share a little bit about my experience in the dental hygiene program and the process of finally selecting my career path. I started in the business administration field after trying many different majors, such as Veterinary Technology and Biology. I obtained an Associate’s degree in business administration and started working as an assistant manager for over two years. It was a very fulfilling experience in my life because learned a lot. However, soon after I began the job and was ready to go for my bachelors, I realized I was not happy and would not want to work in this field for rest of my life. That’s when I started looking into different majors and career paths. I felt frustrated, believing I had wasted time at something that did not make me happy. That is when one of my co-workers began telling me about the dental hygiene program, which I had not been familiar with before the discussion. I started looking into different colleges and curriculums, and thought dental hygiene could be a profession that I would like. so, I decided to give it a try. At first, it was tough because I had to take requisite classes before being considered for the program, and that took me about a year.

When I was accepted to the program, I could not believe it!. It was a challenge to maintain a high GPA, but worth it, because I was accepted into a program that so many students apply for, and only a few get in. I felt accomplished and motivated to keep going until the end. The first time I walked into the clinic and had my  first experience with a patient, I immediately knew that I had made the best decision of my life. I was very excited about what was to come, and now I am here, and I love what I do. I love all the work and dedication that it takes to become a dental hygiene professional, and I would do it all over again.

Becoming a dental hygienist has been a completely life-changing experience for me. I am very grateful for all the challenges and struggles I have faced throughout this whole experience because it has made me a much stronger individual. It has given me a clearer vision of the professional I strive to become. As a personal and professional goal, I hope to make a positive change in the lives of my patients, and I hope to inspire others to always follow what makes them happy!.