Philosophy

I believe that nursing is an evidenced–based practice, and with the participation of the patients and their families along with the interdisciplinary healthcare team, optimal health can be attained. I also share the belief of our school’s nursing theorist Jean Watson that “nursing is concerned with promoting health, preventing illness, caring for the sick and restoring health.”

My belief is that for nurses it is critical, in this diverse society in which we live, to be culturally competent and sensitive to our patients, and each other as health care workers.  This is of utmost importance as we strive to deliver optimal health care to our patients.  My reason for becoming a nurse has never being about money and never will be. As a child, I witnessed my brother’s birth at home by a midwife. Ever since that moment, there has never being anything that has fascinated me as much as being able to view life coming into this world, hence my reason for becoming a nurse. My core values and beliefs stem from my Caribbean upbringing: honesty, perseverance, kindness, spirituality, treating others, as I would like to be treated, and hard work. All of these attributes create prosperity and a peace of mind. Similarly, I will carry these values in my professional role as a nurse. As nurses, we serve patients in different settings whether those individuals are in ill health or in cases where we are working together to prevent illnesses, but one thing we have to remember is that no matter what the setting may be in which we deliver care, our patients are human beings who deserve the right to autonomy, and they should be respected. In so saying, we have to be cognizant of ethics, especially when we are faced with dilemmas in the workplace.

I have no working experience as a nurse, but in the future, I would like to learn from my working environment daily and leave a positive impact on my patients’ lives. As an advocate for my patients, I would encourage my patients to educate themselves about their health and what is going on in their environment. In an effort to improve my patients’ outcomes, I would continue to grow within my field by continuing competence. In addition, I would be sure to receive certification when it is required.