After constructing the basic outline for the set design, I met with my technical supervisor, Professor Varbalow. We discussed possible ideas for the look of the platforms and walls. I decided that I wanted to do woodgraining for the platforms and have the walls painted to look like storm clouds. I wanted the overall design to have a painterly quality.

The reason for the woodgraining was to give the appearance of a ship that had broken apart. I had originally constructed the model out of bristol board, but my technical advised me to use illustration board. The bristol board was too thin, and the illustration board was a better choice to paint on, so I began the construction process from scratch using the illustration board. For the painting process, I found a piece of wood as a reference for the woodgraining and used an online stock image for the storm clouds. The woodgraining was a challenging process, and I decided to make a stencil using the illustration board. It didn’t out too well, after two attempts, the stencils kept breaking apart after getting wet from the paint. I then decided to make a stencil using a thin wooden sheet. This worked way better and didn’t break apart.

Woodgrain Reference
Storm Clouds Reference
Woodgrain Color Palette
Storm Clouds Color Palette
Illustration Board Stencil
Wood Stencil
Wood Stencil Results
Woodgrain Platforms
Storm Clouds