Jacquelyn Blain

Jose Velez Valencia

In my last blog post I feel like I wrote something similar so, I guess I already had the gist of what all these writers are saying in their respective essays. I believe at first I was convinced of starting to try writing more like I spoke, although now I am not so sure. After much reflection, I believe I need to find a healthy balance. I wish to express myself almost in a way that is more formal rather than my usual casual speech. This would feel like one of many forward steps in my development as a person in (mostly) my professional life. I do understand however, in order to do such a thing and develop moving forward, I need to open up my mind to how I change between and use different “englishes” in the present. As previously mentioned, I know I have the different types of styles when speaking to friends and when talking to people in more positions of respect. Like Tan alluded to within her essay, this also pertains to the way we write. I see myself writing in different manners especially when writing creatively. Even coming into college, I have changed my writing style and almost started to take some liberties for myself. Starting sentences with “and” or “because” basically seemed like taboo for the longest time. For 12 years within my writing career, I was basically fooled into believing this. I feel this to be almost the primary or even preliminary move in the right direction to changing my English and even more so, a great example of the different englishes (even if miniscule) that I was taught to learn. I now know that just because we have different englishes, does not mean any are less correct than others, but instead just unique and correct in their own ways. Nonetheless, I believe for myself that I want to regulate and perfect it to my own standards. My experiences with the English language will never be finite but I will try to reach the zenith of my own English-speaking abilities.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

It really is a process, isn’t it? Knowing when to be more formal and when to be less is an important skill. I’m glad to hear you’re experimenting and thinking about context. Keep going! Nice work…