Jacquelyn Blain

Erick Fiallos _ Conventions

Without a doubt, telling stories about experiences or other events with close people or those you are getting to know is one of the most beautiful and genuine ways to empathize with someone, I also believe that it is the purest form of linguistic narration due to the effects it produces tell and listen to a story. I can say that in my case, I have always been an open book, always swimming telling stories and anecdotes to others to create connections, trust, and relationships. However, I never believed that telling stories is something bigger than one would believe, because for me it is something natural, it was always there. But the way I now view these kinds of stories makes me feel like you can get to know or empathize with the person telling them in a whole new way.

Well, to tell the truth. I think that a story told has to follow a predetermined structure depending on the genre in question and does not fall so much on the story itself. But when we talk about narrative language, it is how the story is written and the message it tries to send. An example of this is Jamila Lysicott’s article “3 Ways to Speak English”, where she talks about her experience discovering that depending on who she spoke to she changed her accent and way of speaking. Here is a story that is read because the author was very meticulous in exemplifying his changes of ascent and how he spoke to be able to understand just combining those examples in the most important and what most attracts the attention of the story.

A great place to start a language narrative is an important event in the life of each one, which has marked a before and after, I don’t think it should be detailed to the maximum because depending on the person and the story it can be very strong, but it is always good to start with something that is well remembered. Do not forget that the story belongs to one and the possibilities are endless, and the limitations are in your head.

I don’t have any questions or doubts, I think it’s more about knowing what I could tell and how to do it, after all, it’s easier to talk than to write in my opinion.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Very thoughtful. And you’re right how structure is often based on the genre. If we stick with the old Aristotle model of beginning-middle-end, then it’s easier to see all stories as starting point, expansion of the idea, finish of the idea, no matter what genre. I think we’re both right! 😀

I really like your point about starting with a strong memory. It’s certainly a lot easier to add details if your memory is also detailed. Of course, memory isn’t always perfect, so it’s up to the writer to fill in those details the best way they can, even if they’re “made up” or not necessarily “true” in the most objective sense. What’s true to the writer’s memory is all the truth the writer needs.