Jacquelyn Blain

Zoē Pearson – Mike Bunn’s RLW

– My idea of what Mike Bunn is telling his audience is that writing is not exclusive to one form of expression or to one “type” of writer. Through the breakdown of his RLW method, Bunn demonstrates how everyone has the ability to compose well-written pieces. Some of our smallest daily tasks involve writing, and yet, we transform into authors because of them. He even explains how unlearning traditional reading habits and practicing efficient ways to analyze text could help us to become better writers. Having some exposure to writing is beneficial, and it gives me a foundation to work with and improve upon. It also has allowed me to think outside the box and use personal experiences to be creative when writing.

– Though Mike Bunn’s article was meant to be informative, I noticed he took on conversational tone toward the audience; it wasn’t as formal as I was expecting. There was also a break in his writing whenever he wanted the readers to focus in on a certain topic. I feel that I could utilize Bunn’s relatability. I found his use of syntax to be unique for the kind of piece he was writing. I would love to experiment with going against genre stereotypes and writing in a way that steers the reader in a different direction than they anticipated.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Really good insights! Genre awareness is important, as you mention, because it gives us kind of a template for composing texts since different ones work for different audiences. Always great to think outside that box, however!