Professor Joshua Belknap | ENG 1101 ML D105 | Fall 2022

Course Learning Outcomes Reflection 10/31/22

Now that we’re about halfway through the semester, let’s reflect on this class and think about the learning outcomes we’re aiming for, and give this writing course a review. First, let’s look at the learning outcomes of the ENG 1101:

English 1101 Learning Outcomes:

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: Identify and evaluate exigencies, purposes, claims, supporting evidence, and underlying assumptions in a variety of texts, genres, and media.

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: Adapt writing conventions in ways that are suitable to different exigencies and purposes in a variety of contexts, including academic, workplace, and civic audiences. When appropriate, repurpose prior work to new genres, audiences, and media by adjusting delivery, design, tone, organization, and language.

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments. Persuasively communicate and repurpose research projects across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media. Demonstrate research skills through attribution and citation gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing both primary and secondary sources. Learn how to use appropriate citation styles depending on disciplinary and situational requirements (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations. Students write reflections of their own reading and writing process from the beginning and throughout the semester with the intention to transfer their acquired knowledge about genre and composing practices into new writing situations.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Recognize that first-year writing includes academic, workplace, and civic contexts, all of which require careful deliberation concerning the ethical and social ramifications concerning fairness, inclusivity, and respect for diversity. Write and revise for academic and broader, public audiences accordingly.

Compose in 21st– Century Environments: Learn to choose among the most current and effective delivery methods for different composing situations. Students learn to compose in new media environments, including alphabetic texts, still and moving images, sonic, and mixed media compositions. Use digital media platforms appropriate to audience and purpose.

These learning outcomes are listed on our syllabus. Write about how much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes. What do we need to work on from the above outcomes? What questions do you have about these goals? Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal, which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. Don’t be afraid to admit you’re not sure or are confused about a particular outcome/goal. Let me know how you think we can improve this class. We should discuss and make a plan together as a class! Post here in the comment section below.

1. Yuxin

Yuxin Jiang 10/31/2022

I think I am doing better on my Eduction Narrative and the Reflective Annotated Bibliography because I have help for my tutor teacher and also the professor will correct my mistakes for me in order to start a second draft. I am doing great on the reflective Annotated Bibliography because I knew to highlight important things in the texts.I think on doing good on the new genre Curiously are killing children because I write what I think it wrong with children that doesn’t have any curiously. I also add my own experiences on this type of thing. We need to work on using reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations and Demonstrate the Social and Ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing.What does Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities really mean in a writing? We should work on Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequence of writing for the rest of the semester.

2. Scarlet

As a class, we are doing well going toward this learning outcome, we are spending the class time learning how we can improve our reflection process, and how it relates to our research paper. Individually, I feel like I am learning so much, and the discussions in class are getting better, people participate more and sound more confident when talking in front of the class about their ideas and opinions, compared to the beginning of the semester, including myself. However, we still need to learn more about adapting to and composing in different genres and get comfortable with it. Also, we need to work more on demonstrating the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing since it will be very useful at the moment of doing research or any type of writing in this class or other classes. 

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: Pay attention carefully to avoid mistakes or misunderstandings at the moment of using pieces of evidence.

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: Getting comfortable in writing in other genres, as it could be being able to write a speech or an essay.

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Using investigation to find good evidence to support the ideas presented in the argument.

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations: Being able to carefully think about our own arguments and ideas critically to see where we can get better.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Being socially conscious about the topic we are talking or augmenting about. 

As I said before, we should focus more on demonstrating the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing since we have not talk too much about it.

3. Destiny Erhunmwunse

1: My understanding of this learning outcome is that reading and listening are essential in English class because with this we can understand and get what we are reading or listening to. My takeaway so far from this learning outcome are to pay more attention to reading and listen more because it helps when you don’t have a pen or a book to write something down.

2: My understanding of the second learning outcome is that our writing does not need to base on one writing strategy we have to use one or more varieties of writing so that we can be able to adjust to the different types of writing. Me knowing this now I will be able to use one or more writing strategies based on my audience and based on the people I am going to be presenting to or in my writing.

3: My understanding about research is that it helps boost our claim so that we can be able to convince and persuade our audience about what we are trying to point out. My takeaway from this learning outcome is that for me to be able to prove my point correctly or to be more convincing I have to use research to back up my claims and try to include citations.

4. Fuyi

In this class, I learned how to improve my writing, how to read what the author wants to tell us, what the recipient masses are, what phenomena are mapped in connection with the article to reality, and this is what I have learned in half a semester.Completing a paragraph in an essay requires a lot of thought and organization of vocabulary, which is the challenge we face. All we need to do is to slowly improve ourselves in writing, combine it with the essay we wrote earlier, see where it is lacking and correct it.

5. JiaBaoLiang

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: This skill helps me discern the authenticity and credibility of new information

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: This skill enables me to write a good composition in different subjects

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: This skill helps me realize that I need to look at my research from a different Angle, only in this way can my results be close to perfect.

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations: Using my own word to express other’s meaning

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing:This skill helps me to question various social problems and make my writing more purposeful

Compose in 21st– Century Environments: This skill helps me to combine my writing with the modern environment and problems, so that my writing can be easily understood and readers can feel more involved in it.

I think both my classroom and I have acquired these skills or become more proficient this semester, and I think we just need to follow the current pace, nothing has to change, and we can continue making progress. I have no questions about these skills.