The Bang Bang Club.

In my graphic principles class my professor had told me about a famous photograph taken by a south african photographer by the name of Kevin Carter of a vulture stalking its prey but its prey happened to be a little girl slowing dying from hunger a couple of feet away, 3 months after that he committed suicide he was traumatized by all of the things he had seen on his journey. He was apart of a club called the bang bang club which happens to be a movie based on the photographer in this club. The things they endure is indescribable. The courage these men had was incredibly great. They witness many killings and many deaths. I recommend this film it is truly inspiring & through out the film they show many shots that they have taken All Black & white And undoubtedly Strong. The film can be pretty graphic and may upset some viewers but it’s very effective and strikes emotion. This film can be found on netflix but it can also be found for free on the internet…illegally of course =]

here is a link to the Famous Pulitzer Prize winning photograph.

3 Responses to The Bang Bang Club.

1. Sandra Cheng says:

That is one of the most horrific and powerful photographs that exists, and unfortunately, only one visual example of reality in modern Sudan. I have yet to see the film, thanks for the reminder.

2. jieqchen says:

This is really one of the most impressive story-telling photographs I have ever seen. When I first glanced at the picture, I thought the “black object” was a stone. But when I looked at it closely, I was horrified by noticing how skinny the girl is that there’s barely her skeleton left. This photograph not only tells us the situation in Sudan famine and reminds us how fortunate we are, but also reminds us a saying that says it is a whole where the weak are the prey of the strong. Not only the animals are the preys of the human, but the human could also be the preys of the others. As long as one is weaker than the other, the weak would be eliminated.

3. Kacy Charles says:

I remember seeing this photograph a few years ago. It was emotionally striking then as it is now. One cannot fathom the horror of poverty that the people of Sudan experience. I still ask myself how could Kevin Carter walk away and not bring the child to the UN food camp. My point of view is not that of being thankful of how fortunate we are but that of when we are placed in a situation to help each other, we do it no matter how small the gesture is. In the case of this little girl, it’s heartbreaking that someone could have helped and walked away.