Some of the earliest color photographs of New York

I have recently came across this article that shows some of the earliest color photographs of New York.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036932/New-York-City-photos-Charles-W-Cushman-reveal-1940s-life-Big-Apple.html

They were made in 1941-42 by Charles Weever Cushman on, at that time, a very expensive color Kodak film. I found these really amazing. So sharp and detailed that even many today’s digital cameras would have hard time capturing. Even more interesting is the fact that these were shot at the time of the WWII… They may be the only color photos I’ve seen from that period. They really illustrate how fast photography has advanced through history since its invention.

To me, they almost look weird because I really expect to see these kinds of scenes in not too sharp black and white photos.

6 Responses to Some of the earliest color photographs of New York

1. asmith129 says:

The pictures in this article are interesting to see because they are so clear like they were taken just yesterday. The only thing that gives it away that it was taken a while ago is the clothing that the people in the picture are wearing. I like the picture of McSorley’s Old Ale House, the before and after. It shows that some things haven’t changed drastically changed like others.

2. Hanif says:

The photos are amazing for that period, looks not far from digital photos at all. People’s faces, buildings’ facades, even the streets themselves gives you a strong sense of texture, and the pictures being in color aids this in a way. What stood out to me the most was how little has changed in terms of how busy it was then and is now. Streets packed with cars and people, and water ways packed with boats show what a metropolis New York has been for decades.

3. Sandra Cheng says:

Thanks for posting the link! I don’t know the Cushman Collection. You’re right, the colors are very vivid, typical of color slides but I am surprised that they stayed in such great shape. Older slides have a tendency to fade and turn pink. The pictures are a wonderful testimony to how busy NYC was then, as it is now. I was a little surprised by how well-dressed everyone seemed to be, there were many suits. I tweeted your link, thanks again.

4. gramos says:

I enjoyed looking at these pictures, it was nice to see what life was like in the city during the 1940’s. But I still can’t believe these pictures were taken during that time, the pictures are still in good shape and have great color. I liked seeing the chinatown wall street, and fulton area, and many things still look the same today. These photographs are great for people to compare and contrast how things were before to how they are now.And they also serve as great reminders to people who lived in NYC during that time.

5. Astrid S. says:

It’s unbelievable and amazing how clear this images look due to the fact that they were taken a while back. Looking at this images makes me feel like I’m there and kind of gives a nostalgic feeling too, perhaps I was from that era in another life time. I’ve always wondered and was curious as to how certain places might have look back then and it was interesting to see that New York has not change one bit when it comes to it’s busy streets. I love looking at the antique shops, cars, business signs and the clothes that people wore in those days. I find it all breath-taking.

6. I am absolutely impressed with the quality of these images! I’m trying to get this quality now with modern equipment and I have a difficult time! I guess photography equipment can be compared to old classic cars. Why did Kodak fall off the map the way that they did? Maybe they should come back out with this model and call it Charles Weever Cushman.