ENG 3771 Blog

Blog 2

An achiever persona is a set of characteristics that a person possesses. These characteristics show a willing and driven person in a job environment. People with the achiever persona usually are recognized and rewarded for the hard work they have done. They are known for setting goals for themselves and are motivated to reach them. Many people with the achiever persona are ambitious because they have mentors guiding them with every decision they make. They also have people supporting and working with them to accomplish the goals. Some essential qualities that a professional achiever demonstrates are being given the toughest problems to solve, receiving rewards and honors, coordinating presentations, overseeing process-improvement programs, advances educational opportunities. They are able to work well with people in groups and teams and to share ideas and are willing to work with other peoples’ ideas. I think that I possess some qualities of an achiever persona but not a lot of them. I feel this way because I’m willing to try new things and accomplish my goals but sometimes I’m reluctant to start something new because I never want to fail. Since I’ve started this class, I feel that I’ve overcome the fear of failing because I look at it as a way to grow professionally. What I need to be doing to fully gain an achiever persona is to use the theory from what I’ve learned in class and apply it to a hands on project to broaden my understanding. Also, researching a lot about what kinds of jobs I’m interested in and apply to internships so that I can get exposure to my major and gain experience. I don’t have any job experience in the engineering field so I think that it is best to find an unpaid internship first to develop my expertise in the field. I need to be relentless in making progress in my professional career.

Blog 1

Performance based hiring is a process of choosing the best candidate for a job. If you are a candidate then it is the process of preparing yourself to get hired for a job. During this process, as a candidate you should prepare a cover letter and resume in the proper format and with the correct information. When applying for a job you should apply for a job that you truly want to do, not something that looks easy or a position that has openings. When a recruiter contacts you, it is important to ask about the year 1 information. Year 1 means the demands that will be expected of you to meet in a year’s time of being on the job. It will give some insight on the job and you can evaluate whether you think the job is right for you or not. It is important to practice being interviewed so that you can get comfortable with being nervous and learn how to deal with the stress. Also, make sure to research about the company and get a good idea of why they do what they do, how they do it and what they do.
Constructing my professional identity in a performance based manner would be helpful to my career based prospects by walking me through what I need to do in order to get an interview and to get hired. These tips and advice are very helpful because it tells me what kinds of strategies to use during an interview. One strategy that was mentioned was the Day 1 Year 1, which would prepare me to ask the right questions and show the hiring manager my willingness for the position. The performance based manner also would help me to focus on talking about the specific accomplishments I’ve made in which I can use to benefit the company. Another strategy I can use is the Moment 1 which would help me to put myself in situations where I would feel nervous and deal with it in the correct manner. This method will help me on an interview because it will help me to control my nervousness.