Nursing Philosophy

Nursing is the protection, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations according to the American Nurses Association. Beside what is mentioned above there is much more to the nursing. I believe that nursing encompasses clinical quality, competence, compassion, empathy, the nurse, the patient and other health care providers, the environment and patient centered care.  It is imperative to be aware that patients may have different values, beliefs and customs that may not be consistent with ours but we have ethical responsibility to see the patients as a distinctive human being and treating each one of them with respect and dignity they deserve. I believe that through caring, respect and compassion, the professional nurse can improve the patient and family’s ability to accomplish best, wanted health outcomes. Since I was a little girl my parents instilled in me these values, beliefs and ethical principles that I still abide by.

Personally, I believe that knowledge, which is the important part of the nursing philosophy as well as environment of care and professional nursing practice, defines who I am as a nurse. It impacts my life and drives my everyday experience as I interact with my family, my patients, my coworkers, and my inner me. The Jean Watson Theory of caring and her view that every human being should be seen holistically as a whole person influences the foundation of my nursing philosophy. Health reflects more than just lack of illness or wellbeing. It also addresses the psychosocial and spiritual drives that influences human life. I think one of the major purposes of nursing is to help people achieve, preserve and resume health. Additionally, it is essential to have a personal and nursing philosophy in order to care for your patient with compassion and comfort.

References:

American Nurses association What is Nursing?Applauds  Retrived on March 13, 2013, f               fromhttp://www.nursing world.org/EspeciallyForYou/What-is-Nursng

Watson, J. (2009). Caring science and human caring theory: Transforming personal

and professional practices of nursing and health care. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 31(4), 466-82. Retrieved from http://ehis

ebscohost.com/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer