Studying Art History

In thinking about why I decided to create a blog inspired by art and museums, I have to give great credit to the curriculum requirement of Kings borough community college.

In fall 2009, I started as a freshman at Kingsborough Community College majoring in graphic arts. Anxious to dive into my major, I was fairly annoyed to learn that I would be required to take an Art History course before taking any graphic based courses. Excited to be in college and motivated to get a 4.0, I committed to attending my Art History 101 course each Saturday for an entire semester.

Although I didn’t expect to be, I found myself being extremely engaged in the lectures. I was so amazed at how much clarity I was gaining about design by learning about different artist, styles and art era’s. My professor was a great story-teller and encouraged us to share our thoughts and reflections about the lecture, which made me appreciate art more and resulted in my love for art history to this day.

Outside of the fact I received an A+ in my art history course, I am still very motivated and inspired by both ancient and modern art. Because I was required to take this introductory Art History course, I have been inspired to incorporate many different art styles from ancient-modern art forms and artists in my graphic design work to this day. Since 2009, my perspective and approach to design has been continuously developing and I’ve been able to refer to and use art as a go to reference for new ideas and concepts in my school work and freelance work.

As a graphic designer, I’ve learned that you can not be obsessed with the technical approach of your work; technology is always changing and can always be learned, but to be an artist first or to be knowledgeable of art history and it’s many eras will make you matchless in your creative approach as a designer in comparison to the designer who focuses their time on mastering how to use the new technology.