Narrative Art – Fairytale Redesign

Fairytale: 12 Dancing Princesses

Original Story: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/TwelDanc.shtml

Story Proposal:

The original story is the 12 Dancing Princesses where 12 princesses would sneak out every night to their secret place and dance all night until their shoes get worn out, which becomes a mystery to everyone including their father, the King. My interpretation is that the story will be set in the 1990s in New York City where the “12 Dancing Princesses” is an all-female dance crew with each member using code names that relate to a specific animal/insect. I’m making the change to be a modern adaptation due to my research on other variations made to the 12 Dancing Princesses, they have often been fantasy-based set in an older time period when balls were common and I wanted to do something different. I also thought that the dance crew concept fits for the 12 Dancing Princesses are dancers and they’re a large group of people that dance together. For the “12 Dancing Princesses” dance crew, they’re not related to one another, they’re a group of friends instead. The dance crew consists of Dragonna who is the leader, Tigress, Viper, Tortuga, Lupa, Elk, Crane, Canary, Axolotl, Angelfish, Arachne, and Cicada. The main character is Lucinda/“Lupa”, a 16 year old girl who sneaks out every night to join her crew on their many outings and battles against other dance crews. Lucinda comes from a two-person family where she lies to her father, Eduardo, about her nightly outings and her father tries to hire a senior private investigator, Hern, to learn what she’s doing at night. The main conflict is between Lucinda and her father, Eduardo, as they have a strained relationship as Lucinda was closer to her late mother and Eduardo struggles to connect with his daughter. Overall the modern interpretation is a coming of age story and deals with themes of family and connections and the demographic for the book would be young adults and teens.

Final Art:

Scene 3 Final Art
Scene 4 Final Art

Process Book:

References:

Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/9R3c0rd3r/narrative-illustration-project/