The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s Eye View of the World by Michael Pollan

The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s Eye View of the World

by Michael Pollan:

• In this article, the author describes and shows the importance of paying attention to every little detail written on the products we buy. He also mentions that every product and the information that comes with it, (in this case potatoes) are protected by Federal Law, and its requirements. In order to have a good quality of product and to PROTECT people’s health, farmers have to go through certain procedures so that way their products can be sold
  • The idea “the food chain that begins with seeds and ends on our dinner plates, is in the midst of revolutionary change” shows that many products are in the middle of a “TRANSITION”, because the procedures used in the past were different than now, for example: “The modern industrial farmer cannot grow that much food without large quantities of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, machinery, and fuel”. It shows that in America, the industry of Agriculture it’s always changing and constantly adding more procedures to ENSURE that such products meet the criteria to be sold and eventually consumed by the final consumer.
  • Diseases are everywhere. so the farmer of now, can not grow many products without the use of pesticides, since it has increased considerably the risk of diseases in humans, consuming products that are not fumigated.

• Botany of Desire’s idea: 
  • I would like to shot directly from the front with a white and clear background so i can capture every single detail of the potato, it provides the customer a ver clear idea of what is that about. I would also try different angles like 45 degrees (shooting) and also from the left or right so i can create a SLIGHTLY shadow on the bottom of the potato. Another slightly side of the potato will be highlighted or illuminated.
  • Fresh Direct Idea: 
  • As the name says: DIRECT. So, i would use a direct angle and shooting from the front, for example, with the veggies inside of a bowl. This is my favorite: i would definitely create a relationship between potatoes and vegetables, since both are related to food chain. I would be using “Close-Up” so I can get the best of my details of my picture, also it would be GREAT to use different vegetables with different colors, so that way i can build “Harmony” between the two different kind of food.
  • Another nice idea is: Applying gel to vegetables, and then “spray” and get water drops after it, and creating a fresh sensation on the picture, it attracts the customer or consumer to buy the product, as a form of advertisement.